Weber Smokey Mountain questions

nzrebel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I need some quick input. I know this place is full of inputters.

I have been focused on building a UDS as my first decent smoker since I arrived in here and I've been kinda zeroed in on that. However I have the opportunity to get a WSM 22", 2 years old, used 4 times, for $140. I know nothing of these other than what I've read in the last 30 minutes. I've seen them mentioned but not paid much attention.

Is that a good price? (seems so to me, and they say they are open to reasonable offers so it won't be the final price)

Is it as good as a UDS?

Are there any drawbacks I might be missing?

Please, no virtual head slapping...

Thanks in advance

Dave

First, lets clarify. You can't have a 2 year old 22" WSM. They were only introduced this past January (or so.) So the first thing we need to determine is exactly what you have a chance to buy.

If you have a younger 22" WSM and you can get it for $140.00 go for it, as quickly as humanly possible.

If you have a two year old WSM then $140 isn't a bad price. It's not the best, I've seen, but it's a good price.

I have two WSMs and a UDS. I use the WSMs more often than the UDS.

You can put more on a UDS than a WSM if it's the older 18.5" WSM.

Find out exactly what it is and we can better help you.

First, lets clarify. You can't have a 2 year old 22" WSM. They were only introduced this past January (or so.) So the first thing we need to determine is exactly what you have a chance to buy.

If you have a younger 22" WSM and you can get it for $140.00 go for it, as quickly as humanly possible.

If you have a two year old WSM then $140 isn't a bad price. It's not the best, I've seen, but it's a good price.

I have two WSMs and a UDS. I use the WSMs more often than the UDS.

You can put more on a UDS than a WSM if it's the older 18.5" WSM.

Find out exactly what it is and we can better help you.

Thanks Larry. That's exactly what I needed. I'll get back to the seller and confirm the model

Dave

I'll be candid here. If you can score a 2 year old 18.5" WSM for $140, I'd be on it like a duck on a June bug.

If it is a newer 18" or 22" WSM and you can get it for $140 you better be getting!

a new 18.5 cost $300 at Lowe's and Home Depot and the 22.5 goes for $400

you can sometimes get them cheaper than 300/400 online, but don't forget the shipping and taxes.

Very good smokers and you will be very happy with your purchase.

Thanks Larry. That's exactly what I needed. I'll get back to the seller and confirm the model

Dave

if the sellers don't know what they have - then be sure to confirm the shape to know if it's a WSM and not a kettle.. if they specifically noted 22", they could be referring to the diameter of a weber kettle grill.

I would double check the size. If it is an 18.5 $140 is not bad, maybe $125. If it is for sure a newer 22.5 please jump on it before I get back from Atlanta!! lol

Goodluck,
Shane

I would double check the size. If it is an 18.5 $140 is not bad, maybe $125. If it is for sure a newer 22.5 please jump on it before I get back from Atlanta!! lol

Goodluck,
Shane

I was worried about you, Shane!

This one was hidden in a Yard sale listing and the CL search for "weber" didn't pick it up for some reason even though it was listed as a weber smoker.

Hopefully it's what she says it is, and if it's not and it's an 18" I'll offer her $100 and we'll see.

Dave

Someone once said that his greatest fear was that when he died, his wife would sell his toys for what he told his wife that he payed for them.

Someone once said that his greatest fear was that when he died, his wife would sell his toys for what he told his wife that he payed for them.

But in the cycle of man...doesn't that mean that another man will get the toy to continue the love.

Unless of course it's sold to another woman, in which case that's just not right. :twisted:

Dave, I am in Atlanta until wednesday. I am leaving this one to you. I hope you get it and enjoy it, But dont let this stop you from building the uds. Just remember, 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2 and so on and so on!!

Trigger pulled on WSM

Dave, I am in Atlanta until wednesday. I am leaving this one to you. I hope you get it and enjoy it, But dont let this stop you from building the uds. Just remember, 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2 and so on and so on!!

Purchased- 1 Weber Smokey Mountain 18", two years old, used four times, not a scratch on it...$100. No cover but you can't have everything.

I am a happy camper. Now I have to figure out how to use it, no manual, no thermometer, a water dish...

And don't worry, the UDS will be built, but now I can smoke something while I'm making it..

Dave

Do a search for WSM mods. That's what I did when I got mine last week.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46523

This one shows the temp install (I got lucky and mine was one of the new ones with the temp already in it) and has the links to the grommets that you can run the probes thru (which I am ordering) and the 90 degree charcoal grate idea too. I am torn on the piedmont pan mod...

Happy Smoking! Ya did good Reb!

Do a search for WSM mods. That's what I did when I got mine last week.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46523

This one shows the temp install (I got lucky and mine was one of the new ones with the temp already in it) and has the links to the grommets that you can run the probes thru (which I am ordering) and the 90 degree charcoal grate idea too. I am torn on the piedmont pan mod...

Happy Smoking! Ya did good Reb!

Excellent link, thanks. It was great buying it and knowing that I'll get more and better info on it here than I ever could from a manual

Dave

Just remember to use the minion method of burning charcoal for long slow burns. Also you can shut all the vents to stop it from burning when your done to conserve fuel for next time.

Excellent score Dave!!

WSM are good cookers. I have one of the older 18" models and it produces some excellent food. One of the reasons I built my UDS is because I needed more cooking space, and I didn't want to pay $400 for one of the new 22" models.

Back