The Return of the CrockaQue

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
I was cleaning the garage today and kept hearing whimpering noises coming from the corner. Turns out it was the CrockaQue, and it was feeling down since I hadn't used it in six months. Didn't help that it heard about Gore's new mini drum; it has a horrible complex about other unique builds. Since no one else was around today besides the dog I figured I might as well pull it out and put it to use. For some reason my wife has an issue with it.

For those having trouble remembering the CrockaQue, here’s a glamor photo prior to today’s effort.

IMG_2585.jpg

Ain’t she a beauty? And look, I even have the setting correct for today’s cook, as we are going low and slow. As I would in the WSM, the briquettes were prepared for the CrockaQue version of the Minion Method with a layer of coals and some mesquite chunks.

IMG_2584.jpg

A chimney was employed to fire up the lit briquettes. If you look closely, you can see them way down in the bottom of the chimney. The CrockaQue is a fuel miser (mostly because it doesn’t hold a lot to begin with).

IMG_2588.jpg

The lit coals were poured on top, and it was time to cook. As it turned out, I actually had a lot more charcoal in there than I really needed.

IMG_2589.jpg

The menu plan was a staple around here; the ubiquitous fatty. A JD sage sausage chub was flattened in a Ziploc bag and topped with a shredded cheese mix, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. All of which was left over from the Great Mobile Pizza Adventure (also known as the Great LizBob Kitchen Disaster) on Friday.

IMG_2586.jpg

The mix was rolled back up into a log and heavily dusted with some homemade rib rub (it’s not just for ribs) and put on the CrockaQue to cook.

IMG_2593.jpg

I wasn’t sure the CrockaQue could be trusted without supervision, so Bubba Ho-Keg was employed to keep a close eye on it while I went back to cleaning the garage.

IMG_2591.jpg

Since we were smoking and not grilling, the CrockaQue needed a hat. The Weber pan used previously was too shallow so a medium food tray pan was used instead. The CrockaQue looks ravishing with its new chapeau…

IMG_2594.jpg

After about 90 minutes the fatty was done (as measured with the amazing RED Thermapen; can’t be too careful here). Bubba Ho-Keg was my witness…

IMG_2595.jpg

Here’s a closer look at the finished product right before removal from the CrockaQue. Proof that this is a serious grill. Sort of. OK, maybe not.

IMG_2597.jpg

Laugh all you want at the absurdity of this; the fatty was a winner (at least as fatties go). Look at how nicely cooked the fillings are…

IMG_2602.jpg

One more shot before it disappears. Those slices on the right were my lunch and are long gone as I write this. I’m almost ashamed to admit this was one of the better fatties I’ve prepared; I may have to cook a couple more on Bubba Ho-Keg and the WSM so they don’t get jealous…

IMG_2603.jpg

And there you have it, the Return of the CrockaQue. The next time you see it in action will likely be at the Bay Area Bash in October. But you’re always welcome to come back here and gaze at the wonder of this post anytime you like. Or simply shake your head and wonder why I bothered…

Hey dequerre look: I cooked something! :shock:

I never imagined a fatty could look so good out of a crock pot!!! I have a crock pot that is not used until I saw this....I can see a crock pot resurection in the near future!!

Awesome! I was waiting for the return of the CQ and you have done it again right. You've gotta bring the CQ to the bash.

Awesome! I was waiting for the return of the CQ and you have done it again right. You've gotta bring the CQ to the bash.

Thanks. I plan on bringing it and Bubba Ho-Keg. I figured I better get some practice in just in case someone actually wants to see it in action...

Heheheee. Up until now, I thought this was the only way to do some 'cue in something like that... when and if it ever dies, I'll have a Nesco-Q.

c558df80.jpg

I bet Bubba Ho Keg did the actual cooking.

Still no rotissery?:becky:

I had trouble with the hamster wheel; the squirrels keep stealing it...

And anticipating the accusation about cooking it on Bubba Ho-Keg, look closely at the finished picture with both the CrockaQue and Bubba Ho-Keg. You'll see that the thermometer on Bubba Ho-Keg is at rock bottom. Much like this post...

You really expect us to believe you're going to cook something?

Not really, although I considered making some moink. They are different than MOINK in that they don't conform to the IMBAS rules and therefore aren't subject to trademark litigation. At least that is what a shyster lawyer told me... :boxing:

I like the commentary even more than pron.... great post. Bubba HoKeg. Cracks me up every time. "Don't make me use my stuff on you, baby."

Thanks for reposting this topic. I think one of these will be the repalcement for the tabletop gas grill I have right outside the back door on our porch stoop. Small, insulated, winds shouldn't bother it much, so will give me the opportunity to do some real Q in January and February when wind chills are sub-zero. We'll be scoutin the Good Wills and Salvation Army stores for components. Will post when we have the stuff together for a build.

You don't show if you used it, but I'm assuming you used the heat deflector shield you showed on your original Crockaque link. How'd that work?

Thanks for reposting this topic. I think one of these will be the repalcement for the tabletop gas grill I have right outside the back door on our porch stoop. Small, insulated, winds shouldn't bother it much, so will give me the opportunity to do some real Q in January and February when wind chills are sub-zero. We'll be scoutin the Good Wills and Salvation Army stores for components. Will post when we have the stuff together for a build.

You don't show if you used it, but I'm assuming you used the heat deflector shield you showed on your original Crockaque link. How'd that work?

The heat deflector/diffuser thingy is used for low and slow; unfortunately none of the pictures show it very well. The holes in it seem to let air and heat through just fine, and it does an admirable job of keeping the drippings from falling directly on the coals and flaming up.

One word of caution; in spite of the double-wall construction of the CrockaQue, the sides heat up pretty good when cooking. Be careful of the surface you have it sitting on (thus the bricks and metal pan on the wooden table).

The heat deflector/diffuser thingy is used for low and slow; unfortunately none of the pictures show it very well. The holes in it seem to let air and heat through just fine, and it does an admirable job of keeping the drippings from falling directly on the coals and flaming up.

One word of caution; in spite of the double-wall construction of the CrockaQue, the sides heat up pretty good when cooking. Be careful of the surface you have it sitting on (thus the bricks and metal pan on the wooden table).
And never, ever ever, not even on threat of death, smoke...an eggplant on this thing.

Back