• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help!!! Green spots on bacon being cured

T

The Anchorman

Has this happened to any one ever, Green I mean Green.

I used honey in the cure, it was unpasterized honey!

can this just be cut out or should I throw it out?

Has this happened to any one ever, Green I mean Green.

I used honey in the cure, it was unpasterized honey!

can this just be cut out or should I throw it out?

10. What causes grayish or green color on cured meats?
Exposure to light and oxygen causes oxidation to take place, which causes the breaking down of color pigments formed during the curing process. Chemicals in the cure and oxygen, as well as energy from ultraviolet and visible light, contribute to both the chemical breakdown and microbial spoilage of the product. Cure, such as nitrite, chemically changes the color of muscle. Curing solutions are colored in order to distinguish them from other ingredients (such as sugar or salt) used in fresh and cured meat products. For example, cured raw pork is gray, but cured cooked pork (e.g., ham) is light pink.

From http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_sheets/Color_of_Meat_&_Poultry/index.asp

Thanks Steve, but this is still in the curing process. Not even smoked yet?

Will it wipe off with a rag soaked in Brine (1/4C salt in 1 qt. water)? Otherwise I would be safe and pitch it. Sounds like you introduced a mold with the honey.

Well I got rid of the bacon, pretty expensive mistake. But next time I will use maple syrup not Honey.

I'm curious as to why you think pasteurized honey would make a difference? I don't even know why you would pasteurize honey. Honey has an indeterminable shelf life if kept with even minimal care. The only danger to anyone in general are the endospores, and those are dangerous only to infants whose immune system/digestive tract has not fully developed.

The mold was encouraged by the sugar content perhaps; maple syrup would have been much the same, no? The mold most likely came from somewhere else. You weren't dipping your fingers in the honey before hand were you Ray? :grin:

Back