San Francisco Recommendation

T-Bone44

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have to travel to San Francisco in a couple weeks on business and I am looking for some recommendations as far as BBQ joints to hit in the area...

Thanks in advance!
T-bone

I would go to these places:
Memphis Minnie's, San Francisco
Hi-Lo BBQ, San Francisco
Phat Matt's, Oakland
B-Side, Oakland
Gorilla BBQ, Pacifica

I have been to:
Baby Blues (horrid)
Cathead (meh)
Wexler's (way over-priced)

If you are looking for company to eat with, the NorCal Brethren are often up for a mini-Bash

Landarc once again has hit the nail directly on the head.

Memphis Minnies is my favorite. The owner of "Memphis Minnies" has recently passed away, and I do not know if any changes have been made. Bob Cantor was awesome and one of the founding members of CBBQA. Do not be shocked at Saki being served in a BBQ joint.
Make sure you try the "Cheesy Grit Sticks" I love side dishes. Located on Lower Haight Street---maybe 10 or 12 blocks down from the famous "Haight Asbury District" of the late 60's fame.

San Francisco has thousands of Ma n Pa small restaurants, many of them different Ethnic foods and one on almost every block. My wife and I love to take a walk in SF and find "Food Adventures" San Francisco is a foodies mecca

Although I will agree, SF is not well known for BBQ, there are some excellent places, and I would say, they would hold up well in other locales, from what I have heard. That being said, I love the Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/Korean and Italian options, as well as the places that cater to a more urban palate.

Oh, some of the best ribs I have had in the City came from HRD Smokehouse in the North Beach area of SF. Everything else there is Asian-American Fusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never in a million years would I have expected Bludawg to have actual experience and/or recommendations for BBQ in San Fran. Impressive.

Having circumvented the globe twice lived in Spain & Italy for a few yrs and a few other places I don't care to name and 23 ys of hauling over dimensional freight all over North America You would be surprised at what I know.

Mod Note:

This thread has been scrubbed due to rules violations.

From our rules...

This is an outline of what you CAN’T do.
- Racism, slurs, prejudice, bigotry, vulgarity, or offensive language stricly forbidden

and

NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

Last edited:
I have to say, the best thing is San Francisco, is the bars. So many great ways to get drunk.

San Francisco has an incredibly wide diversity of foods, as do most large cities. However, in SF you can walk into a deli and get a sandwich with a mustard that is amazing or an aioli that gives you shivers. The flavors in the city or wide and deep. I would like to try them all. Even in the transitional Mission District (read drug dealers and homeless people), there exists some of the best food. You just need to take a walk with Landarc to figure it all out.... :)

Back