3 - two - 1

If the OP couldn't reference any posts that supported two hours in foil being too long, he didn't look very diligently. Most folks will tell you that the 3-2-1 is better when modified.

If it really bothers you...ditch the foil and cook a real rib.

I cook at 275-325 degrees.

I go 2 hrs-
45 min. in foil
then take out and put it in
15 minutes with sauce over it.

works well for me

Note: this is for st. louis ribs

I cook 3-2-1 at 218 degrees for STL. And have learned to close down the vents some when the foiled ribs go back in because the foil changes the dynamics of the cooker causing the temp to go up. I mostly foil so I can reserve the juices for the glaze.

I did 3-2-1 on my kettle last weekend for the first time. 225 degrees. Ribs were way too soft after the 2...will prolly skip foil next time.

Cooking spares today on the UDS. Will not foil, just cook for 4 hours (almost there) at 230.

So far they look really good...

I've seen a lot of people cooking ribs hot and using foil, but if you are doing a true slow cooked rib, leave the foil off!

I did 3-2-1 on my Chargriller last weekend. 4 slabs of spares. They came out great and got rave reviews but I knew they were overdone. It seemed most people there liked them that way (fall off bone).

Bottomline...when conditions vary, (lbs. of meat, weather, cuts of ribs, etc.) we have to make an educated guess on each number of this 3-2-1 guide. use your experience/instinct to tell you what to do. You just have to learn to trust yourself.:shock:

The original guideline was for full spares, not St. Louis trimmed or baby backs. And, as mentioned above, it is just a guideline. Adjust as necessary based on your pit temp, rack size, etc.

Back