View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I wouldn't have your kids in a cooking class I was teaching under any circumstances! I wouldn't want to be shown up by more knowledgeable people than I am! :-)
Christian won his third kid's que this weekend. Our pattern is, I give them limited options, they choose what they want to do. I've got way too much going on at a contest to have two kids doing a bunch of crazy crap. Both boys often have similar entries to make it easier for me to manage and buy for. The difference this weekend was Christian wanted avocado on his burger and Michael didn't. Otherwise, they made similar choices in the options we gave them. Oh, and Michael put the top on his burger and Christian presented the bun on the side to show the burger more. Again, their choices.

I did help them flip a couple of burgers when the smoke or heat was getting to them. Showed each of them to form a burger, which we've done before, but they still need coaching. I formed one, they formed five others. In the end, I think they ended up using one that they formed, but I can't be sure after they were cooked.

So, did I help, you bet. Did I cook their entries, hell no. Again, the biggest thing we do is make sure they are directing their entries. Audrey and I may offer suggestions, but sometimes they do something different. It is their entry, so we let them do what they want, even if we think it is wrong. It is only Kids Q. I want the kids to learn and enjoy. I don't care if they win. Between BBQ and BMX, we have enough trophies in our house.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->