How long does BBQ sauce last?

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If I open a jar of BBQ sauce, how long can I keep it in the fridge before I need to toss it?

For some reason I've been thinking that it's highly perishable, and have been chucking a lot of expensive sauce, but it would make more sense if it matched the longevity of something like ketchup.

Anyone know?

I think due to sugar content in some brands, it lasts a long time. How long do you keep them before tossing them?

Either I have a really high tolerance for bacteria, or it lasts MUCH longer than that :confused: Seriously though, I have kept stuff around for months.

Were lucky here it only lasts two weeks tops with the three kids. High acid sauce like Blues Hog will last a lonnnnnng time again except when you have kids.

I have to think that sauces with vinegar/sugar/salt are going to keep safe for a long time (months). I'm sure there's a boat load of preservatives in there too.

FWIW, Heinz ketchup is good for at least 12 months. So anything with that kind of base is probably in the same range.

I also think there's a big difference between bought, bottled sauces and homemade versions. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Most recipes will tell you how long they'll keep in the fridge. Since there are no preservatives in homemade versions, they won't keep as long.

I'm not a big worrier about stuff like this. If I'm not sure, I'll literally taste it and if it tastes OK, it goes on the sammy!:rolleyes:

My wife just shakes her head.....:tsk:

I am in North Carolina and we are very partial to vinegar based sauces. Vinegar is actually a great preservative. Most people around here don't even refrigerate their sauce if it will be used fairly soon. I refrigerate my sauces just to preserve the freshness as much as possible. I'm sure that they will keep for at least a year although mine get used before that.

I don't want to steal this post but on the same line, if I use a sauce and forget to refridgerate until the next day will the sauce still be good or should it be tossed. The sauce in question was Blues Hog and I certainly didn't want to waste it since it is mail order?

I don't want to steal this post but on the same line, if I use a sauce and forget to refridgerate until the next day will the sauce still be good or should it be tossed. The sauce in question was Blues Hog and I certainly didn't want to waste it since it is mail order?

I wouldn't have a problem putting it back in the fridge the next day, but I am not in the bacteria paranoid group either.

Personally I would use it.

The vinegar and salt protect against bacteria, should be fine to put back in fridge.

I've had sauce in fridge for a couple months with no problems. I have to say anyone that has a open bottle of sauce for much longer than that, is not a regular reader of this forum.

Back