25$ score

chagovatoloco

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I am building my sister a uds and went looking for a lid. I found an add on cragislist 22.5" weber kettle $25.00. So here it is, dose any one know how old this is? The photo makes ir seem like the top is a different color but it is just the flash. This is a very cool old bbq and I would hate to just scrap it for the lid.

Dude, that is a great score and I can tell that you have been hit hard with the bug.... You want a lid, but you don't want to scrap the bottom part. Turn the bottom into a lid for your second UDS. Makes it really easy to put in a rotisserie or do a turkey. Little bit of work though. I've done a couple like that. PM me if you want info.

Ya I guess i have been hit by the bug..... btw I be ordering the uds handles from you.

I just hate to think that is has survived 40+ years and now I will destroy it.

So I'm building "my sister" a UDS. You are a great brother. I say pirate all the parts possible to build "yourself" another UDS with this CL score and "sister" is gonna have a delay. Not saying don't build her one, just get sisters parts from a kettle with less history.

That looks like my favorite kettle. The daisy wheels allow me to cook at 225 degrees all day. I'd keep it and find a newer grill for parts.

Wish I could find one like that. much better temp control than you can get with the one touch arrangement. Weber never should have discontinued making them.

I picked one up on CL last year which was going to be a donor for a UDS, but when I went and got it, I just couldn't bring myself to breaking it up. The legs were shot, but it had TWO good handles on the kettle and I've been wanting to make another "shorty" for tailgating, so I took the legs off, got her a new grate and bent some legs for it out of 3/8" x 3/4" flat bar ("J" shaped with the short end going into the leg holes and the long end going up the sides of the kettle- drill a couple of holes and bolt and VoilĂ , you have a portable-short-22 1/2" go-anywhere kettle). The one I found was just like yours...Grayish in color, two metal handles that make it easy to transport...Perfect! I've also noticed that the material these older ones are made of are a heavier gauge than what the newer ones are made of...More durable for hauling around to tailgates, camping, etc... Congrats on your find!

I've got a once used uds with weber lid, 2 new weber grates, fire basket, ball valve and painted gloss black that I will sell you for $100. Come on over and look at. 925 9893712
Marty

I've got a once used uds with weber lid, 2 new weber grates, fire basket, ball valve and painted gloss black that I will sell you for $100. Come on over and look at. 925 9893712
Marty

Why oh why must you be so far away... :tsk:

If the vent say patent pending with no number, it is probably 68-70.

If the vent has a patent number on it, it is probably 70-78.

Great find. Whenever I am looking for spare Weber parts, I have purchased them through www.ereplacementparts.com. For about $15 more you can buy a new replacement lid, and save the CL Weber. Heck you may be able to save the older Weber and sell it to a collector, and use the money to pay for new lid. Just a thought.

Great find. Whenever I am looking for spare Weber parts, I have purchased them through www.ereplacementparts.com. For about $15 more you can buy a new replacement lid, and save the CL Weber. Heck you may be able to save the older Weber and sell it to a collector, and use the money to pay for new lid. Just a thought.

Great link, but it seems the weber 22.5 lids are all out of stock. I just wish some one in the bay area had a lid to trade for the whole grill.

Back