• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can you make gravy from butt drippings?

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If I were to smoke a butt and save all the drippings can I use it to create gravy like one normally does with turkey or beef? Im not too familiar with gravy but my buddy brought it up and Ive never seen it?????

you can make gravy from the fat and meat juice you get from cooking any meat.

Gravy is a huge part of life! And you can quote me on that!

First off, I suggest placing a pan under your butt to collect the drippings. But I have probably already said too much.

I generally have my drippings collected and removed well before any sauce is put on.... not really what I'd call BBQ. I agree with Landarc.

You guys are farking killing me. Carry on!

And I have not collected pork drippings for gravy. Beef, yeah.

I think pork dripping is call sop. for instance Red Sop, it what you sop your biscuit in.

Chicken a beef always! Pork not yet..... Do it even if it is for a nutter meal.:idea:

I'm just going to throw one comment out here. I tend to find the drippings very smokey. While you can certainly make gravy from them, you might find them to be too smokey. How smokey depends on your smoker, technique, etc., but some members of my family do not like how smokey the gravy turns out.

Seems like most of the droppings from a butt would be rendered fat, not sure I'd like using that as gravy base. You could use the fat mixed with flour as a rue base that would be pretty tasty though. Add some veg stock and I think you'd be good to go.
Ed

I just smoked a couple butts hot and fast last weekend, and finished them off sealed in foil pans. The juices that were in the pans tasted like liquid bark. I think that it would be too strong for a gravy, but was very good mixed back in the meat after the fat was removed.

I have made gravy out of drippings from a pork loin, and Gore is exactly right. The drippings are very smokey and also very seasoned from whatever rub you used, so it takes very little to add flavor. When I did it I had to make a second batch because it was so overpowering but the second batch was awesome.

I have to say I am proud of the Brethren for taking the high road on this thread.

Back