Spatchcock chicken....

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Direct or indirect?
Skin up or skin down?

It's my first time... what say you?

I do mine indirect skin up on a raised grate to keep it from over browning. I cook them in the 375º-400º range until the breast hits 162º and the thighs around 175º .

IMG_0075-1.jpg

Skin up for me.

I've done both direct and indirect. I like it better direct on my uds, but it comes out pretty good indirect in the bandara, although when I do it indirect I finish it on the kettle with a little direct heat, for crispier skin.

I use my uds to smoke themmost of the time. 275-325 range. Skin up for 1/2 of the cook and then flip to skin down for the rest of the cook. There is some magic that happens after the flip.

Juices collect on the meat side and help keep the breast meat tender. The skin side gets ugly but I figure that is par for an Ugly Drum.

I follow the recipe on nakedwhiz.com

I think it's important to air dry the skin so that it crisps up nicely. I also find that marinating/brining helps with the moisture retention.

Just like Larry Wolfe shows....Skin up & over direct heat. I get my smoker up to about 350° and cook for about 75 minutes on the top rack.

I do mine indirect skin up on a raised grate to keep it from over browning. I cook them in the 375º-400º range until the breast hits 162º and the thighs around 175º .

That's a very nice looking bird, Larry!

We marinate for at least a couple of hours with an Italian dressing based marinade. Cook skin up and indirect over a pan of beer with the coals to either side. We will be making this tonight!

Attachments

• old smoker 27.jpg
    old smoker 27.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 285
  • old smoker 32.jpg
    old smoker 32.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 287
spatcockchicken002.jpg

If on the egg, try high in the dome, 400 degrees, starting skin side down until brown, then flip over and let it go. Depending on how the bird progresses, go indirect if needed or flip back skin side down to finish crisping skin. about hour to hour ten cook.

try grade A birds, better skin. bird in pic not grade A, busted skin. you can get your fingers under the skin on each breast half and work the rub down into the dark meat. I use a lot of salt and rub under the skin for flavor. t

This is the way I do mine as well, great flavor and always moist. Since I live in Texas and it's such a high temp I use mesquite for the smoke.

Guesss I'm going to have to do one tommorrow.Usually do beer can chickens but what the heck.Those pics look good guys.

I agree with the bones down over medium to start, then place on another area for indirect cooking to finish, still bones down. At that point on a charcoal cooker you'll also get some great flavoring. On a traditional gas cooker, you may want to place the entire bird in a tray to retain the juices that will escape. Some of these can be strained and used for sauce!

If you brined it first, less drying will occur.

This is also a great candidate for using bricks on the chicken. I did a spatchcocked chicken under bricks LINK

Happy Grilling!

Guesss I'm going to have to do one tommorrow.Usually do beer can chickens but what the heck.Those pics look good guys.
I haven't done a beer can chicken since my first spatchcock. Don't think I will ever do one again unless somebody just has to have one..., and is willing to pay for it!:twisted:

Thanks for the thread I picked up 2 today for tomorrow.

How do they turn out without the skin? I normally cook chicken without the skin as Damar12 does.

basically, it's cutting the bird down the backbone and flatting it out, some people skewer or cage the bird, most cook as is, as the photo's show on page one,

"The Boston Globe
Cutting a chicken in half for broiling is almost as routine as chopping an onion. But keep the halves together in that same flattened position, and it looks as if you've done something complicated to the little bird. Think of it as butterflying the chicken. The real term is to "spatchcock." Alan Davidson explains in The Oxford Companion to Food: "The theory is that the word is an abbreviation of 'dispatch the cock,' a phrase used to indicate a summary way of grilling a bird after splitting it open down the back and spreading the two halves out flat." Davidson speculates that spatchcocked birds originated in Ireland. He has noticed them in Irish cookbooks that date to the 18th century.
Besides making an intriguing presentation and being simple to carve, a spatchcocked bird requires less time in the oven. That means that the breast meat won't be dry. It's also easy to make a pocket between the skin and breast meat to stuff the bird with a protective layer of vegetables and seasonings."

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm

Back