Hello from Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Enkidu

Hello guys and gals. I am fairly new to BBQ'ing. The wife bought be a Brinkmann gas grill last Summer which is where my interest started. Just this past March, for my birthday, I got the 22" Weber charcoal grill that I had asked for. Since March I've been using the Weber a bit as a smoker, with some good success and some not so great success. Up until a couple weeks ago, about all I q'ed was pork ribs (I am partial to Carolina-style first, then memphis, then KC style). I've been getting reasonably good at them.

Most recently, I smoked my first brisket -- a flat (didn't even know the difference between packers and flats until a couple weeks ago). Thankfully, between a combination of Steve Raichlen's book and reading about how to make brisket on amazingribs.com, it turned out pretty awesome. Awesome, as in cut-with-a-fork tender. That is actually what led me here, since I am now hooked. I guess that's what they say about golf (not that I play)... all it takes is one good shot that you hit and you are hooked.

Due to space concerns, the wife won't allow me to get a dedicated smoker, so I've been looking for easier and better ways to use my kettle as a smoker. That led me to read about various automatic temperature control devices and learn about a device called the smokenator. Searching for reviews of the smokenator, led me here, where I saw people talking about the "fire brick method" and the "minion method" which is now what I am going to try the next time I BBQ (probably this weekend)! See, you guys even helped me before I was officially a member.

I even asked the guy at amazing ribs about it on his face book page and he thought the fire brick method sounded like a great idea and a cheaper option than the smokenator (which he rates pretty highly as an accessory). Anyway, I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing my experiences and successes and failures (and everywhere in between).

Take care,

Matt

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell

Welcome aboard Matt; your cooking will get better over time, so just remember ... low and slow produces the best smoked BBQ. :hungry:

Welcome neighbor!! You came to the right place matt!! Bottom of page. Search brisket. You should find lots of info on it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back