Family Holiday Favorite

K

kcquer

As a lot of you know, my Dad passed away early this year. He was the worlds biggest little kid at Christmas time. He truly embraced the spirit of the season by cooking and baking for family, neighbors and friends throughout the season. His carmel corn was something he shared with everyone. In his memory, I wanted to share this recipe with my Brothers. Make a batch and share it with your loved ones.

Carmel Corn

Pop 1 to 1 1/2 cups of corn and pick out the old maids. Divide up the popped corn into a couple of large roasters or 3-4 cake pans. Add peanuts or almonds or other nuts as you like.

In a sauce pan combine 2 sticks REAL butter, 1 lb (2 1/4c) brown sugar (light brown sugar will be more fiddle faddle, dark more like cracker jack) and 1/2 c light corn syrup (Karo). Bring this to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook for 5 mins. Pour over popcorn, stir. Bake in a 275 oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 mins. Each time you stir, the mixture will be a bit less sticky and closer to the finished product.
Allow to cool, store in ziploc bags.

Happy Holidays,

KC

Thanks for that, Scott. Best holiday wishes to you and your family. I know the first one without a loved one is not easy. Been there twice in recent years. But it's a special time to recall the memories you'll carry the rest of your life.

Will do KC. Your Dad's recipe will get a try in MN tonight.

Will try it here in DFW as well. Thanks for sharing something special to your family with us.

thanks ,KC i'm going to share this with my family this Christmas .my mom,and dad use to make carmal corn for us at Christmas to .but i never did get the recipe from them before they passed on.. i will use it well.. thanks again

I love caramel corn! Will have to give this a try.

Gonna make some for a party I'm catering on my birthday.

KC
Sounds like your dad has provided you and your family with the gift of many happy memories to open during the Christmas season. The caramel corn will be a special treat, thanks for sharing the recipe with us.
Scott

Cool, I have always loved that stuff. Will give it a try, thanks !!

KC, Thanks for sharing.

It always amazes me how much taste can bring a person back. Everytime I taste apple pie I think of my mother and the apple pies she makes. Whenver I taste maple candy, I think of my grandmother and how much she enjoyed it.

Your dad lives on everytime you think of him.

Thanks for the recipe, KC! We'll try it for Christmas!

Made this recipe today. All I can say is top notch. Sweet, crunchy and not hard as a rock like the commercial stuff. I added a couple cans of planters cocktail peanuts.

Thank you KC

Kevin, Glad you liked it and you're right it is quite crispy compared to commercially available stuff. Be warned, it can be very addictive!!

Thanks to every one who's been kind enough to help me continue my Dad's tradition. It's certainly brought me a smile and I'm sure he is too.

Thanks K.C. for the recipe, my mom had a similar one, we'll give it a try!!

Bossman

Thanks, KC, and the best to you and yours this Christmas. I am going to suprise my grandkids with a batch of this Christmas Eve.

Easter,

This is the one Family Holiday they we all get together and cook ethnically. Polish of course. We drag the Kitchen Aide and the sausage and pasta attachments with us when going to my brothers house. We make our own Kielbasa and smoke it. We make Kapusta (Polish cabbage soup) along with Golabki (Polish stuffed cabbage) and Bigos (Polish sausage dish with sauerkruat). As an appetizer we make pierogies (Polish dumpling) of all kinds (cheese+potato+ham etc.). My mother in law usually makes a babka (polish sweet bread) and my Mom makes Chrusciki (Polish bowtie pastry). We drink Okocim (polish beer) if we can find it. It is alot of fun and keeps the family very close. My brother and I didn't become two fat polocks over nothing.

Sawdustguy What a feast you have sounds like a lot of fun as well as good eating. My wife is from South Korea and she very quickly became just another Southern Girl, but soon after we were married she ask what our family traditional meal was for Christmas or Thanksgiving and I had to reply any thing that cannot out run us or in a pinch we can sneak up on even if they are fast!:biggrin: Having said that Please Please post any recipe you would care to share as I have found with the exception of Celery there is not much I do not like and I love to try new foods. Could have something to do with the 300+ pounds I carry around !:oops: :biggrin:

Sawdustguy said:
We make our own Kielbasa and smoke it. We make Kapusta (Polish cabbage soup) along with Golabki (Polish stuffed cabbage) and Bigos (Polish sausage dish with sauerkruat). As an appetizer we make pierogies (Polish dumpling) of all kinds (cheese+potato+ham etc.). My mother in law usually makes a babka (polish sweet bread) and my Mom makes Chrusciki (Polish bowtie pastry). We drink Okocim (polish beer)....My brother and I didn't become two fat polocks over nothing.

Holy cr*p, that sounds good! I've been living in heavily eastern european neighborhoods (near Greenpoint in Brooklyn, and now in Ridgewood, Qns)for the last 8-10 years and have learned to love pierogi, beet salad, kielbasa, etc...There's a handmade pierogi place down the street, and I've made some pierogi before but I'd love to learn to make kielbasa (or anything else on your list). Any recipes, tips, etc... are greatly appreciated. There's a beer distributor right around the corner, so let me know if you need some Okocim.

--Matt

Scott,

Thanks we'll try it here in VA too. My mom will not be long in this world and reading your post just made me sad. I need to ge to CA very soon.

Back