Chicken suggestions.

vern1915

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm gonna smoke some chicken breasts, (bone in) & a whole chicken on my medium bge in the am. I've done whole chickens, thighs & leg 1/4s before. It was so-so, but I was never reallly happy with the outcome. Any suggestions as to time, temp, or procedure?
Thanks, Vern.

If you weren't happy with the outcome before then you might try vertical roasting the whole bird. (Beer can) or Spatchcocking it http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/spatchcock-chicken.html

I recommend brining both before you throw them on.

The breasts you need to seer if possible (depending on your cooker) and finish them indirect, that will give you a crispier skin.

What kind of cooker you using?

I've never tried brining before, but I'm fixing to brine my birds with this.
1 gallon water
3/4 cup kosher salt
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon each of dried tarragon, thyme, black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil.
How about cook temp & time.
Thank you, Vern.

thst brine will be perfect..

keep the temps up near 325 if you can..

don't overcook !!- take off breast when breasts are at 160 and thighs around 175 then let it rest and temps will come up a bit more

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I've never tried brining before

I've been much happier cooking mine faster, around 350 or so until done.
I know many here prefer it, but low and slow doesn't suit my taste for chicken.
Ron

I brined the chicken as suggested. This is the BEST chicken I've ever done. Brined the chicen overnight, smoked it on my bge about 2.5 hrs. @ 300 degrees. Meat temp was around 170f. Wiped bbq sauce on some in the last 1/2 hr. It was juicy & tender. I didn't eat a plate because I got full while slicing & tasting.
Thank you GreasePig. I now have a new favorite dish.

In my egg, I start at 250 to get some smoke, then ramp the temp to about 350-400 to finish it off. I've been known to finish at almost 500. Talk about a nice skin. That cook got me 4th place out of 65.

The fellas are right - brine, brine, brine. Then about 1.5 hrs @ 250 - or longer if you want the meat to fall off the bone (FOB) I have both a Med BGE & A WSM - both require about the same treatment.

If you weren't happy with the outcome before then you might try vertical roasting the whole bird. (Beer can) or Spatchcocking it http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/spatchcock-chicken.html

I recommend brining both before you throw them on.

The breasts you need to seer if possible (depending on your cooker) and finish them indirect, that will give you a crispier skin.

What kind of cooker you using?

This is a great post! Thanks - the blog visit was well worth the click - nice work!

Back