Blue Smoke vs. White Smoke (Pron?)

Here's some Blue...

133638631.jpg

Umm, that's my pit and actually the smoke is white. I had just put more wood on the burner and it was dry cherry and oak. The jpeg development setting was set for cool white instead of warm white.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pron of what the "Good" blue smoke looks like vs. the "bad" white smoke?

Bad on left, good on right.

What would make the same piece of wood either burn with Blue Smoke or burn with white smoke?

The fire should be hot, and if possible the wood should be as warm as possible before placing on the
hot fire. Do NOT smother the fire/coals. Also, wet or moist wood will do this. This is one of the reasons
to NEVER soak wood like many instructions will tell you.

worth the quote, great picture!

I honestly never knew about blue and white smoke. I always uses the minion method and let the smoker run for almost an hour before adding the food. By that time most of the smoke has died down or is completely gone. I also scatter my wood chunks throughout my charcoal so that it burn at later parts during the cook providing me with constant smoke flavor.

Lakedog, did you set up the cookers to display that? If not, that's the best timed pic in the history of BBQ!

Back