• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you get less smoke flavor when you brine????

Erin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Vancouver, WA--Across the Columbia River from Port
Hello My Wise Brethren,
I have brined pork, chicken and turkey (all on different dates), smoked 'em for 2 hrs and turn it up to finish. Each time that I have brined I have noticed very little smoke flavor comes through. However, when I don't use brine.... when I just use smoke for two hours, turn it up to finish I have wonderful smokey flavor. I use a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite and usually hickory, but have used various pellets as well.
Has anyone else found this to be true of the brining process?
Thanks,
Erin

I regularly brine fowl, most recently earlier this week (chicken.) I have not noticed any difference in smoke flavor.

I haven't noticed that myself, and I brine chix a lot. Might be an interesting side-by-side comparison, not to mention delicious.

A brine your just exchanging the juices in the meat for what the brine is made up of through Osmosis. I have done turkeys chicken and deer(attempting to add some moisture and it did with flavor) and it never affected the smoke flavor.

Tell me more about your brine please.

Duplicate threads?

I've not noticed this issue. I brine poultry a LOT too.

Might want to try dry brining. Not to completely derail the thread, but it's less mess and imparts quite a bit of flavor using the juices already within the bird. Might also change the smoke reaction going on? (No idea, never experienced your problem).

Back