View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #193
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
Ok. Getting close. My custom basket ala OldBob arrived and it is great. PM if you want the name of the Brethren who made it for me.

I put mine on 4/4 wood blocks to burn it out too.. they caught on fire and then caught my grass on fire. Lovely. :-)
Hhmm... I haven't had that problem. Mine sits on a pressure treated 4x4 landscape timber that I cut in half.

Quote:
Couple questions -

1. when I screw the pipe nipples in they aren't very secure. When I then screw the covers on them I can't tighten them without the pipe nipples getting loose. the same thing happened on the one I screwed the ball valve into. I bought some high heat silicone to seal it up with. If I use that around the pipe nipples will that be strong enough to keep them tight when I put the caps on?
I cut the holes to 13/16 and mine thread in pretty tightly. I still thread on conduit nuts and firm the up on the outside. If you need to you could put them on the inside as well.

Quote:

2. I finally found a used weber kettle for $30. I haven't got it yet, but will I have to do anything to make it fit the top of the drum?

B
It depends... the diameter of the drums differ. On my first on the lid fits perfectly with no mods. On my second one I will have to just balance it on the top.

I know some guys have ground the top roll and gotten a snug fit, but on this one I would have to grind nearly the entire roll.

Quote:

3. Am I not going to use my stick burner anymore after using this drum?

B
Oh... I still love to play with the BSKD it is just not as often. Actually, it may be about the same. I just get to cook more Q now because I can cook on a drum when I wouldn't have to to cook on the stick burner.

I can't wait to see yours...

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote