I'm Feeling Nervous.. and Lumpy!

Terry Hesticles

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Not only is tomorrow Father's Day, but it's also my twin boys' first birthday (best Father's Day gift ever!). To kill two birds with one stone, we're having friends and family over for a bbq. I have 20lbs worth of Boston Butts and when I pull those to sit in the ice chest, I'll be filling the UDS with pork shots. There will be about 17-18 adults and several kids, one of the adults being my dad who has heard the hype surrounding my bbq, but has never tried it.

For the first time ever, I bought a bag of lump charcoal (Royal Oak, it was the best I could find). I've always been wanting to try lump, after all these years, but just never got around to it. It seems most people using lump in their UDS don't really notice much different in the process, but I still can't help but me nervous by getting away from the norm, especially with so much of my reputation (and $100 worth of food) at stake.

The butts are injected with my own variation of Chris Lilly's injection and will get rubbed soon. I'll put them on the UDS around 3-4 AM so that their ready for the party tomorrow afternoon.

Wish me luck!!

Rather than stress, just use charcoal. Try the lump when there is less pressure and enjoy your day.

Pack the basket with lump &4-5 chunks of wood light 20 briquettes dump the briquettes on lump. Me are the vtop off the drum until yr therm hits 175. Put the valid on and dial in your temp.I do it just like this I am at temp with TBS in 20 min.

I've got my basket packed fairly tightly with 80/20 lump/briqs (plus peach wood), that way I have the best of both worlds. I have enough KB if I need to bail and go with what I know works. I have the same ratio of a few briqs and some smaller bits of lump. I'm excited. These things sound like little tiny Christmas bells.

I've got my basket packed fairly tightly with 80/20 lump/briqs (plus peach wood), that way I have the best of both worlds. I have enough KB if I need to bail and go with what I know works. I have the same ratio of a few briqs and some smaller bits of lump. I'm excited. These things sound like little tiny Christmas bells.

Sounds like a plan man! You'll grow to love the lump I'm sure. I've found that the lump responds to intake adjustments much quicker than briq's so be mindful of that! Things you have to look forward too, better taste, way way way less ash and quite a bit of reusable charcoal when your cook is through!

My experience with lump in my uds is that the lump tends to burn hotter and is much more sensitive to the air intake. Not a problem, but just be aware that it will be different from the briqs, and adjust as necessary. For me, there was not a lot of flavor difference that I could detect. Good luck and Happy Father's day-Birthday celebration.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

I WON'T change anything for tomorrow party! Maybe another day....
By the way I'm really interested in your Chris Lilly's variation....... And at what T will you cook?

My experience with lump in my uds is that the lump tends to burn hotter and is much more sensitive to the air intake. Not a problem, but just be aware that it will be different from the briqs, and adjust as necessary. For me, there was not a lot of flavor difference that I could detect. Good luck and Happy Father's day-Birthday celebration.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

^^^This^^^ Since you have a mixture it will be more stable re: temp swings. I like to mix lump and bricks myself. You will be very happy with your results tomorrow! Have a fun day and relax.

If your that nervous - then maybe today is not the day to swap from what you know.

Sometimes being a father is about taking risks! I say you show those two boys how to conquer your fears! Light that bad boy and be their HERO!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!

LOL! You're breaking one of the biggest rules. You never try something new on a big occasion for a crowd.

HOWEVER, if you follow the advice here you'll be golden. I would say to just keep an eye on the temps more-so than you would your usual cooks, but it looks like you will definitely be doing that anyway.:grin:

Have a great father's day and enjoy the birthday party!

Only use RO Lump in my UDS..just be careful when you remove the lid to check or spritz or wrap, it climbs FAST!! I always have my wife do lid duty and grab the lid, I do what needs done and then she puts it right back down. I also (from recommendation here) close all intakes a minute before I remove lid. Otherwise, you will love the Lump, fast great temps and not much ash.

Good luck!!

i have had great results with RO. my UDS gets a chimney of briquettes them RO on top, i can hold 6-8 hours of 275 with half a bag.

good luck with your cook!

I have never cooked on a UDS but I do lik Lump and RO is pretty good stuff You will be fine Have fun and Congrats on your day

Butts have been cranking along at 235 for 4.5 hours. The first hour was a little rough, the temp needle was bouncing between 225 and 250 almost cartoon style, just constant movement back and forth. It finally settled down around 6:30/7 and is smooth sailing now with my ball valve intake open about 3/4 of the way.

Back