BBQ Brethren "Wild Game" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[SIZE=+2]"Wild Game"[/SIZE]
Squirrel_Uh-oh.jpg

One of many eligible critters

...as chosen by River City Smokehouse, the winner of the Hot and Spicy Throwdown!

Here is the newly updated, simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1) The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 10/23 - 11/1 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 11/1.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin Monday 11/2 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 11/6. All votes will be public.

Don't forget the Soups, Stews & Chili Throwdown is still accepting entries until midnight Sunday night (10/25)!

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Shellfish Throwdown.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Where are the Brethren?

I thought there would be some postings by now!
I went pheasant hunting for the first time in close to 30 years, and bagged a few :-D.

This was sunday's dinner and monday's leftovers. The bag between the brown sugar and the bird is the marinade of apple juice and seasonings.

The ingredients:
IMG_1004.jpg

The Pheasant wrapped in bacon: (sorry got a little fuzzy)
IMG_1007.jpg

On the grill, indirect heat for about 1.25 hours, smoked with hickory chunks because that was what the bacon was smoked with. (should have pulled at 1 hour, a little bit dry, but not bad)
IMG_1009.jpg

On the plate before carving:
IMG_1011.jpg

On MY plate for dinner :-D (leg, thigh and a slice of breast), with broccoli, and my own concoction of long grain and wild rice with mushrooms, onions, and garlic, cooked in chicken broth. Real butter :-o (my cholesterol levels are good :-D Suprise suprise!!)
Please use this picture for the throwdown.
IMG_1012.jpg

Looks good! Sounds even better.:cool: I would wager that so far you are a lock for this one!:lol:

Dang work is crazy right know… I hope I am back home to do some smoked rabbit or mini egg venison.

I had to work yesterday and am headed back today, I think for a full shift..... It looks grim for a Throwdown cook. I'm sure looking forward to seeing some last minute entries.

DSC09315a.jpg

With a little help from a guy at work, who volunteered a pound of 90/10 deer burger, I was able to get a late lunch together. I seasoned the meat with salt/pepper mix, added chopped garlic and chopped onion to boost the moisture and then gave them a couple of shakes of Wooster for good measure.​

Chris, please use this next pit shot for my entry picture.​

DSC09333a.jpg

Topping one with cheese, these were cooked to an illegal, but totally satisifying 140° internal. Yes, every now and then I break a USDA rule for doneness. :biggrin:

DSC09338a.jpg

Served on a toasted bun with some brown mustard, some peppers and of course, some of my home made hamburger dills.

DSC09343a.jpg

i got nothin. looks like it's a two way event!
i am however making some pork superballs. :biggrin:

I'm working on something, but I don't know if it will be acceptable.

Wow, just now reading this thread. Should have borrowed some deer tenderloin from my brother... oh well, too late now... :-D

here's some smoked trout dip i made yesterday with some trout i caught earlier this year...

tdpsb-029.jpg

on a table water cracker with a pinch of brethren pepper blend

tdpsb-030.jpg

I'm thinking outside the box. I got a couple of pounds of shrimp and a few clusters of oysters from my dad. He took Friday off and went shrimp baiting and oyster harvesting with his buddy. They got in late last night and I picked mine up earlier today.

The shrimp was cleaned and wrapped in bacon then dusted with Creole seasoning and pepper. It was the cooked on the UDS over heavy oak and hickory smoke for one hour.

The oysters were roasted open over charcoal with a handful of hickory chips.

My father and a friend cast nets for the shrimp over bait, and picked up the oysters at Bull's Bay, near Charleston.

GEDC1154.jpg

Thanks for looking, it was delicious!

Now I know you guys are not scared of my pron pic taking abilities, so any advice on what to season venison steaks with.

Will post to pron to enter this throwdown.

I like fresh cracked black pepper and a little garlic and onion powder. You might try a beef rub.

Back