First Time Injector

Pooky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, my injector arrived in the post this morning - I'm planning on cooking my first ever injected Pork Butt this weekend and was looking for some advice:

I've been looking around at recipes, so I think I've got that sorted - Going to go with the published Chris Lilly injection to start with.
My main question is, whereabouts do you inject? All over, Through the cap, into the 'sides' looking straight at the muscle groups?

Is there a formula - Volume of injection to weight of meat, or do you just inject until it can't take any more?

I read somewhere, ages ago, that there is a risk of pushing harmful bacteria from the surface of the meat, into it when you inject - Is this a real issue or is it just a case of using the usual common sense?

Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

First, make sure your pork butt has not been "enhanced" already.

Use half the salt in the Chris Lilley injection recipe. I try to inject all over, as much as the butt will hold. Wrap the butt in plastic wrap before injecting and inject through the wrap. That will help keep you and your kitchen protected from leaks.

First, make sure your pork butt has not been "enhanced" already.

Use half the salt in the Chris Lilley injection recipe. I try to inject all over, as much as the butt will hold. Wrap the butt in plastic wrap before injecting and inject through the wrap. That will help keep you and your kitchen protected from leaks.

That's a great tip, I've struggled with that. An episode of Pitmasters this year showed the contestant plugging the holes with her fingers, until she ran out of fingers anyway. But this is much better. Thanks!

OP, I've only used Lilly's recipe and have enjoyed the results.

Wrapping first is great for mess prevention, but be careful. I find that this will affect the bark. You may need to rub lightly, inject and then throw some more rub on it when you take it out. May not be issue, just something to think about.

I recommend changing the water in Lilly's recipe to white grape juice (using same volume as apple juice) and change the worcestershire sauce to fish sauce and double the amount. It really increases the savory aspect of the injection.

I agree with RobKC. I have a tried and true pork injection. Converting the proportions used in the Lilly recipe to mine, the salt is 40% more than I use, plus the salt in the Worcestershire sauce would push it to near 50% more salt. FWIW.

Back