WSM water question

majake

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I attended a local barbecue competition here in town yesterday and chatted up a few of the teams. It was kinda cool to see the different equipment that was being used. Several told me that they did not use water in their WSMs but they used other things like sand or lined ceramic pots or other such things. They said that nobody uses water in their smokers. Is this true?

It's true, many people don't use water in their WSMs. IMO, it wastes BTUs, and makes it harder to cook at higher temps.

The moist environment also affects bark.

Contrary to popular belief, meat in a smoker gets its moisture from within, not from a water pan or spritzing.

Many of us do not use water in WSMs. Water acts as a heat sink, which can be accomplished with a clay saucer or sand in the pan. We wrap them in foil which makes cleanup much easier.

I line my water pan with foil and fill with water. I just don't like my drippings falling onto a hot surface and making fatty smoke. Personal preference.

It's nice to get opinions, and experiment, but use your smoker however you want. It's your smoker and your food.

CD

Sometimes I use water in a foiled pan.
Sometimes I use sand covered with foil.
Sometimes I use crushed pop cans covered with foil.
Sometimes I use just a foiled pan.

The options are limitless really.

I do like the way the WSM cooks when I use water, but I don't like how much charcoal I use.

I reckon my preference is crushed cans covered with foil.

The fisrt few times using my WSM, I used water, as stated earlier it's a little difficult to get the temp up. I use no water now and have no problem making tasty moist Q. JUST MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE WATER PAN WITH FOIL!

Never used water in my pan. Just cover with foil, and re-foil as necessary, easy clean up.

I don't use anything in my waterpan. I just put a couple layers of foil across the top and call it good. Cleanup is soooo much easier!

I use water when I'm doing a low 'n slow. Water boils at 212°F and will moderate any spikes above that. My suggestion is to think of it as a useful crutch to help control temps until you get comfortable controlling your WSM.

When I'm cooking stuff like fowl that can go higher, I don't use water but simply foil the pan. On my most recent cook I did not even use the water pan and ran the cooker about 310°F.

I'm another no water or sand in the pan kind of guy, personally I notice no difference in the food but definately use less fuel and if you do have to move your cooker you don't have to worry about drowning out your fire.

My first cook I filled the pan with water and it was fine. Second cook, I couldn't get temps up, and I dumped the water out. Everything went really well.

Third cook, I put the clay saucer and covered the whole bowl with foil. All the drippings really made a mess of my empty bowl on cook #2. THAT was not fun :sad:

I got some wide foil from Sams that covers my whole bowl. After the smoker cools down and I'm cleaning up ashes, I just pull the greasy foil off. In the cooler weather it's fun, because I kinda get this 18" wide grease puck. I have just thrown them away, but they should be able to be used for something. :wacko:

I use a foiled clay flower pot in the foiled water pan.

Sent from my Android phone.

Water in the pan creates a more humid environment. Some people with *way* too much time on their hands did some studies and showed that the extra humidity can cut down on the stall. You can get perfectly moist meat without the water, and you can decrease the length of the stall by cooking at higher temps.

I cook chicken, turkey, steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, and anything else that's "high heat" (above 300*) on the BGE with no water pan. The BGE seems to hold a reasonably moist environment on its own (though probably not near as moist as a smoker with a water pan).

I cook ribs, butts, briskets, and anything else "low and slow" in either the BWS or WSM, and typically at about 235*. I've never cooked in either of those without water in the pan.

To each his own. One day, maybe I'll try some no-water cooking, but I'm VERY happy with my results, and my smokers hum along on temp beautifully.

Back