Chicken Sucks

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have never entered a competition but was thinking about it as New London is only about 2 hrs drive for me. Have yet to figure out how to get everything there but figured as I had never tried to make "competition" chicken I should try that before I entered. I went and bought a "family pack" of thighs from the local market. There were 10 in the pack -- no two the same size. I spent well over an hour preparing them. They look like crap. I will cook them up in the morning and hopefully they come out looking a bit better.

Again, I have never competed but I have to think that chicken has to be the deciding factor in winning. I think brisket, butts and ribs most who have been cooking for some time can handle as that is what you tend to focus on. I do a nice whole chicken--but man those thighs were a pain.

Oh well--guess there was not really a point to this more a rant of frustration.

Thanks for listening :mad2:

here's a tip take your skin off than trim the chicken and replace skin before cooking :thumb:

Brine and marinade ur chicks. Get the flavor and timing down then move to worrying about shapes. A crappy tasting round pice of chicken won't score well even if it is uniform...

LoL Defiantly brine the thighs and get the flavor spot on then worry about the size/shape as PorkinginPublic said. Bust MOST important do sign up and give it a shot! ITs a great way to have fun and enjoy other that share your passion!

Ya, give it a shot, it's the only way to know. We are cooking New London, so drop by and say hi!

You are heading in the right direction with thighs. Don't worry so much about making it all the same. Our chicken looks like...chicken....and it does OK. Focus on getting bite through skin - not having that will hurt you a lot more than the shape. You either need it crispy (grilled) or soft (braised with liquid like water or margarine). If you only smoke it, it will not be bite through.

LoL Defiantly brine the thighs and get the flavor spot on then worry about the size/shape as PorkinginPublic said. Bust MOST important do sign up and give it a shot! ITs a great way to have fun and enjoy other that share your passion!

You don't have to brine to make good competition chicken. Just sayin.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thought I was on the right track with chicken, then my last comp 697,444,856,878,889,778 :twitch:

444?:shocked: I actually "quit" for about a week.

Chicken gotta love it.:mad2:

Judge #6 never takes a week off!

Brining may help some, but is not necessary to achieve high scores. Solid chicken flavor profile and bite thru skin seem to be far more important.

I wish. At this point in my competition learning I would almost pay for a comment card.

I thought judges were required to give comment cards for anything under 5.
I'm judging in a couple of weeks, I'll be dishing out comment cards like I'm dealing black jack. If it sucks, they will know. If its great, they will know.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Back