What the he11 is Irish BBQ?

KentuckyLandSales

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a catering gig for an Irish Festival, they want me to make something "Irish" for it. Does anyone have a clue what I can make? Idea, input?? Thank you!

Smoke some potatoes? Or just serve whisky?

Seriously, look up some famous Irish dishes and then think about ways to substitute smoked meat in place of another meat. I have a traditional Irish Country Cooking book. Just thumbing through some ideas you could use a smoker on, roasted stuffed loin of lamb, roasted leg of lamb, corned mutton, kerry pies, beef and guiness stew, corned beef, ballymaloe spiced beef, traditional roast pork, homemade sausages.

Here are some ideas.....

Get those mini pie crusts that are in foil. We have them in our grocery. You'd want the dough ones and not the graham cracker ones. Blind bake them ahead or on your cooker on site. They cook quickly.

Cook up a large pot of shephards pie filling and mashed potatoes. Then make mini shephards pie.

Or cook up a large pot of a Guiness and lamb stew and fill those.

Or, instead of little pies, you could find some bread bowls? Or just serve the stew with bread on the side.

You could also do some sort of Irish sausages and mash to serve up bangers and mash. Have an onion gravy with it.

Leg of lamb is what comes to mind, done over fire, it is quite good and would be Irish-ish.

Leg of lamb is what comes to mind, done over fire, it is quite good and would be Irish-ish.

I watched an episode of New Scandinavian cooking where he cooked a whole shoulder of lamb over an open fire and basted it with a beer/herb/garlic marinade.

Smoke some potatoes? Or just serve whisky?

:pound:

I didn't know I'm Irish 3 or 4 days out of the week. Learn something new (even my heritage) on this forum everyday.

I have a catering gig for an Irish Festival, they want me to make something "Irish" for it. Does anyone have a clue what I can make? Idea, input?? Thank you!
Get a corn beef brisket and smoke it, Go to your local butcher and see if he can get you some blood sausage and smoke those. Definitely Irish BBQ where I'm from.

Here is a cool article about irish bbq. Apparently Ireland has taken to bbq (what this forum considers grilling) to the point that vendors of most of the grills/smokers have also opened up shop in ireland.

http://bbq.about.com/od/regionalandethniccooking/a/aa031106a.htm

Looks like lamb/mutton is a popular item to smoke, however searching through some Irish blogs they also do beef/pork cuts such as the pork shoulder, brisket etc.

Try corning some spare ribs like you would a corned beef and then smoke.

Back