17th Street BBQ

jeffdh52

Reaction score
My family and I were in Southern Illinois yesterday for a volleyball tourney and spent the night in Marion. Behind our hotel was Mike Mills 17th St BBQ. I have to say I was excited to finally have the opportunity to sample his Q. Well I have to say I felt like a kid that didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. I know it's hard to mass produce great BBQ but I was still disappointed. It wasn't bad, but not what I expected from the celebrated pit master. The night wasn't all lost the beer was cold.

Had theirs at the State Fair Conservation area and also was not impressed. Too bad, I was really excited when I saw they were there.

I have never been overly excited about the food when I have gone to a BBQ place- usually I am very disappointed

I have never been overly excited about the food when I have gone to a BBQ place- usually I am very disappointed

I tend to agree with a couple of exceptions:
(1) the more the place looks like a one-off dump/joint the better the Q; and,
(2) on a recent trip to Texas hill country I had a chance to rund down to Kreuz Market in Lockhart and Franklin's in Austin and both definetly lived up to their reputations.

You have to remember that Mike really made a name for himself on the competition circuit. It is next to impossible to create competition quality bbq and keep it affordable. There are alot of good bbq joints out there, but it is hit and miss with the competition guys. For example, Tuffy Stone's Q Barbeque is quite good, but Lee Ann Whippen's Wood Chicks not so much.

Back