8 lbs of short ribs

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The couple of times I've done short ribs I did them in a pan on a Traeger.
This time I think I'll do them right on the grate. Whata ya think. 225-250
till they're done. What maybe 4 or 5 hours? Time is always less in the pan. Not sure how to time it for a 3pm party. Help!!!

I would chime in but I've never done short ribs...

The couple of times I've done short ribs I did them in a pan on a Traeger.
This time I think I'll do them right on the grate. Whata ya think. 225-250
till they're done. What maybe 4 or 5 hours? Time is always less in the pan. Not sure how to time it for a 3pm party. Help!!!

My preference would be 300°-325° for 20-30 mins depending on thickness, low and slow drys them out too much, they will be especially dry if you cook them for 3 hrs. If you do go low and slow, begin checking at 45min, they probably be done in 1 1/2 hours more less, again depending on thickness.
Here's a marinade that we use often for short ribs, good for about 5 lbs of ribs-

8 oz tomato puree
8 oz red wine
2 Tbs vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs yellow mustard
1 Tbs Kosher salt

Marinate for 1-4 hours, sealed in big ziplock type bag.
Good luck:thumb:

Post some pics when you're done and let me know what method you used. Thanks

I just do them on the cast iron pan, super hot. Greasiest things ever, but damn so good. They were flanken ribs actually, but same thing as short ribs just cut across.

I ended up putting them on the drum seasoned with a rub of

(2) parts kosher salt
(one) part fresh cracked pepper
(one) part granulated onion
(one) part granulated garlic.

Right on the grate @ 275 then I came on here & see Cliff says they'll get dried out. I didn't think they would dry out with the amount of fat in them but didn't want to take a chance since they were for a party. I left them on the grate for 2½ hours then placed them in a tin pan with a little bit of beef stock & red wine for 1½ hours. When I took the pan off the drum I opened it up & drizzled them very lightly with SBR sweet & spicy then covered & let set for another 2 hours while I smoked a sasuage that I rescued from my freezer on the same drum also @ 275. When we got to the party we thru the sausage on the grill for 15 min a side to brown it. The Short Rib's were all cut 2"L & we nibbled on them & the sausage as appetizers. The SR's had been sitting for at least 3 hrs & were absolutely awesome. I got alot of comments on both the sausage and the SR's. I have a couple pics on my phone but haven't looked to see how good they came out. I'll try to post them.

SR2.jpg

SR1.jpg

Thanx for the help.

Last edited:
Back