Ask and you shall receive!

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A local independant grocer I frequently shop at had IBP spare ribs on sale this week @ $1.48/lb. I stopped in yesterday morning to pick up three double rack cryopacks when I noticed he also had pork steaks and country ribs on sale for $.99/lb. Being that these two cuts come from the butt I asked if I could get the whole butt for the same price to which he said sure then he told me he had a few ribeye "dark steaks" and asked if I would like those too. I walked out of there with 48#'s of spares, 54#'s of butts, and 3#'s of ribeyes for $108.64!!!:biggrin:

Great score! Dark steaks, possibly a little brown because air aged them? We used to get "Used meat" as we called it from a butcher. He would save the best steaks and mark them 1/2 price for us. Me and my buddy would each grab a 12 pack, bag of Doritos, can of bean dip, and some used meat and go to our apartment and grill it up while we watched the college girls swim! Those were the good days. :biggrin:

A "dark steak" is a steak that has started to age in the package. The coloring changes, and the red darkens which is not appealing to most uneducated shoppers. The price drops from $7-$8 per pound down to $2.39/lb. and they throw a reduced for quick sale tag on them. You are actually getting a better steak for a lower price.

A "dark steak" is a steak that has started to age in the package. The coloring changes, and the red darkens which is not appealing to most uneducated shoppers. The price drops from $7-$8 per pound down to $2.39/lb. and they throw a reduced for quick sale tag on them. You are actually getting a better steak for a lower price.
Yep Used Meat. Next stop at market to the grinder and red dye # XX.

I just read Neil's post to my wife, and told her what you bought.
She said she would not have a problem with me buying what Neil bought at that price.

Translated into Brethrenese, that means you SCORED!!!!

Thief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who you calling a thief? Your the one that told me about the $.99/lb. for butts at Martin's.
The good thing is I didn't have to go to Martin's, it was a smaller independant store that had the ribs on sale and as long as I was already there, why not ask?

Way to go Neil.

I guess we will be expecting some pics from your cooker.

Wow, nice score.

Used steak... :roll: ...life´s a lesson...

DM

Wow, I had no idea. I always see the deals on this "dark steak" and I have always been leary. Gonna save me some cash now. Thanks for the great info.:biggrin:

Way to score Neil
Also good for the small Independant. Great to see them get the business also.

Back