Half Pint?

Dr_KY

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
15gcyyp.jpg

Gonna get started giving this one a new life this weekend if the rain stays away.:twisted:

Have a good time with the build out.
Looking foreward to seeing the pics when you are finished and cooking.

You're gonna love the mini! We use ours all the time. It's just the right size for smaller cooks for 2 or 3 people.

I'm thinking it's the perfect camping smoker.

Now to figue if it needs 3/4 inlets or 1/2 inchers. I may go the way of BDS and simply drill the lid.

I'm thinking it's the perfect camping smoker.

Now to figue if it needs 3/4 inlets or 1/2 inchers. I may go the way of BDS and simply drill the lid.

When I did mine I used two 1/2" with caps and one 1/2" valve. It worked ok, but I changed the valve to 3/4" and it does much better now.:-D

If you go with a flat top the cooking grate is at 6 3/4" down from the lip which will give you 6" of clearance to the bottom of the lid. ( got that measurement from a BDS ). The Smokey Joe lid adds 3" extra height inside so I put my grate at 4 1/2" down from the lip. Works great.:-D

Found a small kettel today but the lids is about 2" to big DOH!!
lol

Some progress but now it's raining.

sy3uvm.jpg

1tls20.jpg

29da0x1.jpg

231mjc.jpg

The basket needs to be finished and cut down a bit but I'll try it nice and tall and see about placing a water pan of some sort on top of it. I'm not a fan of the water idea in the UDS but with it being so small it may benefit from it who knows.

The base of the basket is nice and heavy and given the light weight of the little drum it should help keep it from being top heavy when loaded.

1zb8hvo.jpg

Lookin' good! I like the basket. :-D

I ended up cutting the sides down on the basket I'm using in my Mini to 5" high and that holds enough lump or charcoal to do long cooks and it keeps the fire a little farther from the food grate. I haven't had a problem with burning or charring the food on the grate ( did fish fillets at 325* and it worked like a charm).:-D Here's that cook.:-D

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46068

I tried a water pan ( used a round cake pan ) and it didn't cook as well for me.YMMV

I need a lig that will fit but can't come up with one. I'm considering just drilling holes in the lid but with all the rain we get it's just not going to work.

The lid from a Smokey Joe Silver fit the drum I used perfectly. The drum measured about 14 1/4" outside Dia.( measured at the rolled lip )

Going to fire it up today for a good seasoning...

2s0co07.jpg

2lu2hwh.jpg

acv58y.jpg

Thanks man :D I just put some chicken legs on for the first run and I hope to do a Silverside on it at the pub tomorrow.

I asked to do a BBQ and make it a fund raiser so I got with one of the guys that owns a burger van across from where I work and was able to grab a box of burger pattys at his cost. :cool: I wanted to do brisket but a silverside cooks faster and may work better for those that don't want a long wait. lol I plan on slicing it then and placing it on french bread rolls.

The half pint should be perfect for sending smoke signals around the place and drumming up some business.

I used stainless ties to attach the grate to the basket.

9jhszo.jpg

qoc4cp.jpg

Back