Boxes / Turn in's

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We were talking last night about our turn in's and last years scores.

We always try to fill the box with meat and we will put in as many pieces as will fit in the box.
  • I think the box looks better full.
  • Also with more than 6, the last judge will still get a choice of pieces.
  • Will that last judge select the best looking piece? Or select the worse of his/her choices?
  • Does the first judge select the best looking piece? (not every time but for the most part. Judge 1 & 2 gave us our best scores)
  • Should we select only our best 6 pieces and for go the full box?
  • Are we full of it and just anxious for the year to start?
?????????????????????????

I'd say, fill the box if you can but don't put anything in that you don't want a judge to taste or see. If you've got six ribs that look great, I wouldn't add two more that don't look quite so good just to get to eight. If those extra two ribs came from a rack that didn't have the same quality of flavor or texture, I wouldn't put them in either.

Why risk getting drilled on higher weighted criteria, to possibly pick up an extra point for the lowest weighted criterion?

My .02

I also dont like to turn in pieces for 2 different cuts. it makes it difficult get anything from the scores afterwards. If you put in ribs from 2 different racks and you get 9-9-9 and a 9-7-6, it is hard to know if one judge got a rib from a good rack and the other got one from a different rack or if they just didnt like it or what.

I have had problems where I find only five good bones off of two racks and I need to throw in a sixth ****ter. I usually put that in the back and hope that is the low score since it gets dropped/

We were reminded at the KCBS Judging School during additional questions time;
to fill the box because a lot of support staff is fed after judging with the leftovers.
I know that doesn't apply to judging but thought that it was a good reminder.

I have read that some will put in a base of meat and then cover it with samples.
It helps keep the entry hot and raises the entry up(better presentation?).

jon

I usually try to put at least one extra piece in for the table captain.

We were reminded at the KCBS Judging School during additional questions time;
to fill the box because a lot of support staff is fed after judging with the leftovers.
I know that doesn't apply to judging but thought that it was a good reminder.

I have read that some will put in a base of meat and then cover it with samples.
It helps keep the entry hot and raises the entry up(better presentation?).

jon

Wow! I don't know many cooks that would turn a volunteer away at an event, unless their leftover meat was spoken for. Urging cooks that might be taking a judging class to fill the box for volunteers is going a bit far in my opinion though.

Wow! I don't know many cooks that would turn a volunteer away at an event, unless their leftover meat was spoken for. Urging cooks that might be taking a judging class to fill the box for volunteers is going a bit far in my opinion though.

Yep, I'm usually looking for someone to take the meat off my hands. After cooking and tasting it, I'm looking for anything but BBQ for my next meal:!:

i try to invite the local pizza guy or whatever food you like that is close by to work out a trade after turnins we are usaully hungry by then and they are more than willing to trade I have found

If they want to feed the volunteers ands support staff, then distribute extra boxes to cooks that want them and have a runner come by right after turnin and get them. There are several contest that we do that have that as a policy and the staff eats well.

Great thread . I was leaning toward a fill the box kinda approach... If I had enough good stuff to fill it. :icon_cool

I'd say, fill the box if you can but don't put anything in that you don't want a judge to taste or see. If you've got six ribs that look great, I wouldn't add two more that don't look quite so good just to get to eight. If those extra two ribs came from a rack that didn't have the same quality of flavor or texture, I wouldn't put them in either.

Why risk getting drilled on higher weighted criteria, to possibly pick up an extra point for the lowest weighted criterion?

My .02

I agree with Jorge 100%

Absolutley what they said!! One of the best pieces of advice I read a few years back was from Chris of I-Que. He said don't put somthing in a box if it isn't top notch quality just to make it look fuller, prettier...ect...ect...

If it ain't top notch...it ain't going in!

That sounds like sound advice. Thanks.
jon

...He said don't put somthing in a box if it isn't top notch quality just to make it look fuller, prettier...ect...ect...

Absolutely!!!!

The question was asked "which do I chose", the answer is, it depends. Because you DON'T know what the judge will chose, if it goes in the box, be ready for it to be judged.

As as a judge (I compete as well) I eat with my eyes first and a full box typically "looks" better. But what to chose? Depends on where I'm sitting at the table and which entry and how it's presented (sometimes, it's obvious the team is trying to hide the bad stuff underneath with too much sauce or something like that. I don't have a set spot, but some judges do. Some take from the bottom, some take from the top.

You can never guess right, so just make sure everything in the box is good.

Russ

Every judge will do it differently. Personally, I would rather eat good food at a bbq comp so I try to take the best looking piece I can get.
I agree that you should only include product that you feel comfortable with the judges eating. I have seen too many chicken boxes that included both thighs and breast. The thighs are great, but the breast is dry. There scores end up being lower than they would have been if they left out the breast entirely.

Back