View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Smokin' Frenchman
Got Wood.

Hey BubbaBones, replying to your PM in a second :)

Some new development

I had a chat with the health department and explained to the lady on the phone what I wanted to do, she mentioned a few things that will make things pretty complicated:

-I cannot do ANY food prep in my home, would need to "rent" space in a restaurant or the like, somewhere that is certified by the health department and do all my prep there. So if I want to make baked beans, coleslaw, salad etc. I can't do it from my home. I would either need to do it all on site or in the rented space.
-I need to ensure I have coolers or fridges that can keep the food cold when transportation (this one is a no brainer, of course)
-I need to have multiple sinks on my rig, hand wash and food prep/washing sinks. This is a challenge as I was just going to get a normal smoker on a trailer, wasn't really planning on having a crazy huge rig with hot water tanks etc. :( Not this year anyways.

I am setting up a meeting with a Health officer in the next week and will sit down with him, show him plans of what I actually would be cooking with, what I would be doing and I will see where it goes from there. I want to be on the up and up with them.

I also need to find out what is considered actual catering compared to just BBQing for a bunch of friends or a party with friends. If I'm cooking for friends and not getting paid, even if there is 30 friends there I'm thinking that does not fall into the same rules?
Smokin' Frenchman is offline   Reply With Quote