$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

That was my theory on using Kingsford briquettes based on other people's recommendations. Its worked for me but I'd also like to see what other's are doing to see if charcoal type really makes a difference.

I have only burnt lump in mine because it produces less ash.

For those of you who are able to hold temperatures ~250 have you made any modifications to your CGK? I am also curious as to what your vent settings were to get it to stay steady for so long.

No mods here...(yet but soon to come) I made sure all bolts were good & tight, including the ones that were already installed. Some of those were loose to begin with. I also hook the latch before I let it go all night. The key I learned on this site & others is to not light all the lump at once...start in the middle and let it catch the remainder throughout the cook. I used to light it all at once & wondered why it was too hot & burned so quickly. It doesn't take much heat since these style cookers are so well insulated. As far as the vent settings, I had the bottom at about .5 and the top at about .75.

Thats impressive. I dump in a good amount of lump and then cut a Webber starter cube into fourths. I take one fourth and light it right on top with one piece of lump on it. When I get to ~100 I will shut it down to the 2 setting on both vents. Then ~150 I shut them down to 1. From here it will slowly raise up to ~225. I will then shut the bottom to .5 and top to either .5 or .75. At this point it will either keep climbing or go out. I really thought bringing it up very slow would help but my temp will still soar right past 225 up to 350+. Yesterday I sealed it up with some BGE gasket. I will give it another run this evening.

Here is an update to my previous post. I decided to give my CGK another run now that I have it all sealed up with BGE gasket. The gasket appears to have made a big difference. According to my Maverick ET732 I was able to park it at 225 and I held it there for over 3 hours. Tomorrow I plan to bring the temperature up 100 degrees and smoke a chicken.

I've been thinking of grabbing one but finally bought one this weekend at a local Kroger store because of the sale ($165). Will start using it next week :mrgreen:

I haven't had to make any mods and I can keep it between 225 and 240 with no problems. I put lump in the fixebox, and just cover the bottom of a Weber chimney with natural wood briquettes. I get 1 side of the briquettes lite and lay them on top of lump. I have both vents open to 5 until the temp hits 175, then I cut them both back to 2. I let the temp rise to 200 and then I can usually zone in on 225 with the top just below 1 and the bottom at .5

Hope this helps.

I smoked my first chicken on the CGK today. Temp was steady at 325. It was great!

2012-07-17%2017.16.26.jpg

We did more pizzas Saturday night (10 total) and it was tough to keep the temp up obviously with opening it that much. I didn't put that much fuel in since I was planning on doing a butt later.
I then prepped it for it's 1st butt. I started by adding more Royal Oak lump around the outside of the existing coals at about 10pm. By 1030pm the temp had evened out at 250 and the butt was put on at 11pm. I went to bed at midnight and checked it before i went to bed. It was right on still. I checked it at 8am and what do you know...250 & holding strong! Probed the butt & it was at 190. Pulled it off at 9am and it was reading 195...couldn't believe how little fuel it used. Let it rest until lunch time & it was definitely the best pulled pork I have made in the last 2 years. I know I am going to have to replace the gaskets soon but this thing is incredible for the price.

Nice, between the gloves and popcorn machine, we may be related...
But anyway, how can you hold 250 or better yet 230 with so much lump?

I tried to hold 250 for my first cook, used the weber baskets and a lit coal on top of each basket of coal and still had issues with temp hitting 265...
I tried with my top vent open, closed with a tiny half moon, etc and same thing..
I have sealed this thing up, so doubt it that..

Any advice

Nice, between the gloves and popcorn machine, we may be related...
But anyway, how can you hold 250 or better yet 230 with so much lump?

I tried to hold 250 for my first cook, used the weber baskets and a lit coal on top of each basket of coal and still had issues with temp hitting 265...
I tried with my top vent open, closed with a tiny half moon, etc and same thing..
I have sealed this thing up, so doubt it that..

Any advice

Haha. I just got the gloves from amazon. They're a lil slippery but much better than pullin without ;)
The popcorn machine was a gift that is used frequently :clap2:
Once the pizzas were done Sat night, I all but closed the vents on top & bottom. She was barely puffin'. When i was ready to open her back up, I filled it up to the bottom of my weber grate and added 3 wood chunks. One in the middle & two on the sides. One of the chunks didnt even get burned. Having used a side smoker before & being used to using nearly a 20lb bag of kingsford per butt, I didn't want to run out of fuel while sleeping. Once it got up to 200 I all but closed the vents again until it made it to 250. I then opened the bottom just a hair & almost closed the top all the way. Maybe I am lucky and my gaskets are holding up better than others but I know the mod is inevitable. What really impressed me with this cook was how most of the fat rendered in the cooker and not in my cooler while resting. I typically end up with 1-2" of "butter" in the bottom of my cooler after resting from my old smoker. Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be but this pork was so juicy & tender with hardly any fat left. I couldnt pick it up off the grill without it wanting to fall completely apart. The gloves came in handy here too as my spatula couldnt handle it. I cant wait to try ribs & a whole chicken. I find myself thinking about this grill maybe a little too much :loco: i think I have a Kamado Krush :oops:

Just talked with Pitmasters and they now have a standard adaptor for the CG Acorn that works with their IQ-110 if anyone is interested. I ordered one and maybe I'll get it by the weekend.

Just talked with Pitmasters and they now have a standard adaptor for the CG Acorn that works with their IQ-110 if anyone is interested. I ordered one and maybe I'll get it by the weekend.

I have the partyQ, but have not done a test with it yet

It had a acorn adapter also. I used that with some modding to get an airtight sel

So to get lower temps do need to use less lump, or does volume of lump have nothing to do with temps

After months of debate, I to have taken the plunge........Seasoned up and ready for my first cook. I must say so far I am very impressed.

I think there are enough people using this grill now that it has to be considered a very decent cooker, especially at the price point. There is nothing else like it without spending at least $200 more for some of the bottom end ceramics.

I just bought an Akorn and although I've only cooked some burgers on it once so far I have to say I love it. For the money I don't think it can be beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think there are enough people using this grill now that it has to be considered a very decent cooker, especially at the price point. There is nothing else like it without spending at least $200 more for some of the bottom end ceramics.

I agree, the only complaint that I have is the warning sticker on the inside of the dome could not be taken off completely. Even after my "seasoning" cook, it is still there. They need to come up with a better way IMHO.

BTW......My wife blames you and your videos for my purchase :)

I agree, the only complaint that I have is the warning sticker on the inside of the dome could not be taken off. Even after my "seasoning" cook, it is still there. They need to come up with a better way IMHO.

BTW......My wife blames you and your videos for my purchase :)

She wont' be blaming anyone for long after she starts reaping the rewards of cooking on it :)

Back