• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

FDA approved label. OR confusion?

Pyrotech

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am working on getting my rub into my local meat market. They are interested, but they keep mentioning needing an FDA approved label.

To the best of my knowledge FDA doesn't approve labels, even though have there labeling guidelines and requirements. My understanding it's the USDA, that approves a label for a meat based product and puts there stamp on it correct?

So are they just asking if my label meets the FDA requirements, or is there an actual approval Process that I am unaware of?

I have my state food manufacture license, the facility is registered with the FDA, label meets font size and label requirements, for ingredient statement and there no allergens or health claims being made, I am insured. To the best of my knowledge I am doing everything right.

Being it's my hometown meat market, I wouldreally like to get in there.

All food products need an ingredient, nutrition and bar code label. Each state has slightly different processes.

When were in the process of bottling our sauce we learned that a "full disclosure" nutritional label is required. I'm not sure who governs that but we were told by the company out of Portland, Oregon that is was a federal agency that requires it.

A quick check and yes, it is the U.S. FDA that required the nutritional labels.

I would also recommend that if you are serious about your product going beyond the local farmer's markets and mom & pop shops that you get a UPC#/Barcode. We currently have our bbq sauce in the two local Kroger stores here in Shreveport and they won't even talk to you unless you have a UPC # and barcode. Plus, we have found people take you more serious when they see you took the time and money to get a professional label, with nutitional information and UPC/Barcode. It has definitely given us an advantage over many who choose not to take these extra steps.

I took in a sample bottle to them, and they where happy with the label. I suspect they where thinking I was making it the home kitchen and and not having my label with all the FDA mandated elements.

They are going to cook up some ribs with it tomorrow and do some taste testing. Hopefully I get the good news they want to use it. They told me they where looking for a rub for there in house pre-seasoned ribs.

Jus some additional information on the labeling process. The USDA does indeed approve labels, but the product would need to have an actual percentage of meat or poultry in the product (Usually 1-3%). A rub which doesn't have any meat wouldn't need an approval and would thus be goverened by the FDA. I know the USDA side well, but think the FDA doesn't have a process and usually only gets involved after a problem is identified. There are folks who design and print food labels who would know all of the ins and outs and be helpful to you.

Back