TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

I've had non-stop issues with the grill. The Jumbo Joe is entirely too small for a 10lb bird. So, I had to get out the sawzall and cut down the grate to lower it. Now I don't have much room to keep the charcoal on the sides. Temp has been a struggle the entire time.

Whatever it is that people use to make these like a WSM, I'm buyin that on Monday.

Love it. It's the color of a pretzel and it was juicy and tender and perfect.

Attachments

• image-2683871833.jpg
    image-2683871833.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 635
Thanks to this thread, this is the result of my first try. It was great. Had problems keeping the WSM @ a steady 325*. Had to open the door a bit... Even with a pit controller. I think that the gallon of hot water in the bowl was holding the temps down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353641542.603410.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooooh....something that I have purchased since I put up this thread is The Briner!

AWESOME tool for brining. I've done as many as 5-6 whole chickens in this bad boy and a pretty big dang turkey too.

Check it out:

THE BRINER

Williams Sonoma has heavy duty brine bags (ziploc on roids). You get four bags (2 large, 2 small). They are great!

Oooooh....something that I have purchased since I put up this thread is The Briner!

AWESOME tool for brining. I've done as many as 5-6 whole chickens in this bad boy and a pretty big dang turkey too.

Check it out:

THE BRINER

^^^FARKING BRILLIANT!! ^^^

Thanks Wamp! Oh and thanks for the bump, some of us new farkers would have not found this map of genius! :clap:

^^^^ YOU, sir, are gonna LOVE IT!

Pretty tough to beat a smoked turkey, IMO.

IMG_4644.jpg

Smoked a 13 lb turk last year on the kettle. Taking temps with the thermapen in the thigh, like always, and I kept getting low temps. Took an hour and a half longer than it should have.

Bird was way overcooked, but the taste was awesome. Smoked turkey is the best.

How do you setup the charcoal? Snake or indirect to the sides of the bird ? When do you need to reload the charcoal ?

Thanks
Mark

Thanks. That's what I've done before.
I cooked my first turkey on a kettle using a one page version of those instructions from Butterball. I still have a copy, it is dated 2002. For an enhanced turkey, I think just rubbing the outside with oil - I like to use sesame oil - and a simple rub is best.

I am new to the site. Built a UDS a month or so ago. I have smoked some fatties, ribs and a pork butt so far. Still experimenting, but have really enjoyed the experience. My next project is to smoke a turkey for the holidays. I'm learning to debone a turkey this year also. I have picked up some great information reading through this thread. My question is deb owning it going to cause it to cook any differently ? Also, besides citrus and herbs in the cavity, has anyone ever put bacon in there to promote juiciness from the inside out, or is it necessary ? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

wonderful write-up sir.
I've been debating trying one this year. I do believe im going to do a trial run first so can get an idea if what to expect. Seems I always underestimate my cooking times.

HA,
This thread is on its 3rd Thanksgiving! So glad to see its not lost. Looking foreword to cooking up some great stuff this Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

Back