My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

After reviewing your post, the food quality and the results are absolutely fantastic. The only thing that I see that is wrong is that you are not cooking enough food. That Tank can hold a lot more than you are cooking so you need to cook more.:thumb:

Enjoy!

Ed

After reviewing your post, the food quality and the results are absolutely fantastic. The only thing that I see that is wrong is that you are not cooking enough food. That Tank can hold a lot more than you are cooking so you need to cook more.:thumb:

Enjoy!

Ed
I have to agree with you, Ed! I'd love to cook more.

Also, I don't have pictures of every cook on it. :icon_blush:

Clearly I've missed something by not reading the other forums, but I can guess. :-D

Lets just say that there was an issue on another site (Josh told me about it) and leave it at that. I, for one, am glad that you hang around here. Me thinks you will more now. :thumb:

What is the actual measurement of the lower and upper grates? I'm looking at fabricating some stainless grates and would like to order the material before my YS1500 arrives. If you get a moment and can provide this information, I'd very much appreciate it.

What is the actual measurement of the lower and upper grates? I'm looking at fabricating some stainless grates and would like to order the material before my YS1500 arrives. If you get a moment and can provide this information, I'd very much appreciate it.

The bottom rack total is 23.5" x 42", and the top rack is 18.5" x 32.5".

Do you leave the YS1500 outside at all times or is it stored in a garage or shed? Im contemplating a YS640 and debating keeping it covered outdoors when not in use.

I put my YS1500 in my garage as there is no cover for it. When I had my YS640, I left it outside 24/7 and always covered with the matching Yoder cover at all times when not in use. The Yoder cover is not cheap, but it is amazing quality (like the cookers) and fits very very well. You can really go whichever way you want to with the YS640

Have you cooked in cooler weather on the 1500? How about when you had your 640?

we were at a competition this past weekend and the overnight temp was 55, but the guy across from us said that he had all kind of temp problems with his 640.

Have you cooked in cooler weather on the 1500? How about when you had your 640?

we were at a competition this past weekend and the overnight temp was 55, but the guy across from us said that he had all kind of temp problems with his 640.
For the YS1500, last night was the coolest I had cooked with it. It got down to the upper 50's as a low, and up to about 80 at the end of the cook. I didn't notice any difference with the outdoor weather.

With the YS640, I had cooked with that in everything from 10* and blizzard, to 100* and calm. The only difference was how quick it came up to temp (it took longer to reach temp when it was colder outside) and it did use a little more pellets when it was cold. However, the food was consistent, and the interior conditions (grate temp, evenness from warm spot to cooler spot, cook time, etc) was always the same.

There are many more YS640 owners here that have had more experience and time with the pit than I had, so feel free to chime in. But I never struggled with it due to weather, and I didn't always use the thermal jacket. Actually, I used the jacket in cold weather less that I did without because the comp cart version of the jacket didn't ship until May if I remember right.

Well heck, decided to come over here from the "big heads" forum.Glad to see this thread here and i really appreciate your input. Thanks again

Last edited:
For the YS1500, last night was the coolest I had cooked with it. It got down to the upper 50's as a low, and up to about 80 at the end of the cook. I didn't notice any difference with the outdoor weather.

With the YS640, I had cooked with that in everything from 10* and blizzard, to 100* and calm. The only difference was how quick it came up to temp (it took longer to reach temp when it was colder outside) and it did use a little more pellets when it was cold. However, the food was consistent, and the interior conditions (grate temp, evenness from warm spot to cooler spot, cook time, etc) was always the same.

There are many more YS640 owners here that have had more experience and time with the pit than I had, so feel free to chime in. But I never struggled with it due to weather, and I didn't always use the thermal jacket. Actually, I used the jacket in cold weather less that I did without because the comp cart version of the jacket didn't ship until May if I remember right.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected to read. I'm not sure why this guy was having such problems.

Thanks for keeping the thread going, I appreciate all your info. I am really having a hard time holding off on getting a 640 wth comp cart.

Also, just want to say welcome to the new folks I see posting. Look forward to talking with yall.

BRISKET!!!!

Brisket was good!! Texas Tender.

I will be sticking with Lumberjack and BBQr's Delight pellets. They have a much better smoke flavor and don't burn as fast.

Back