Brisket cherry popping sunday

Sandman4182

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Ok Brethren im gonna pop my cherry on a brisket tomorrow what do I need to look for, internal temp. smoking time, injection. thanks all

Start simple with your first one. I'd say rub with S&P, no injection, and cook until probe tender. When you can slide a thermometer in like it's going into butter, it's done. It can be anywhere between 185 degrees to 215 degrees, so check for tenderness, not temperature.

When done, wrap in foil and and then a towel and put in a warm cooler to rest for 1-2 hours at least. Slice against the grain and enjoy.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Start simple with your first one. I'd say rub with S&P, no injection, and cook until probe tender. When you can slide a thermometer in like it's going into butter, it's done. It can be anywhere between 185 degrees to 215 degrees, so check for tenderness, not temperature.

When done, wrap in foil and and then a towel and put in a warm cooler to rest for 1-2 hours at least. Slice against the grain and enjoy.

Yep! I agree! :thumb: :-D

Thats great advice thanks. I got a Flat from the store and its 3.7# I heard that its around 1 1/2 # per hour any truth to that at all. Or should I just throw that out the door and just let it do its thing.

Thats great advice thanks. I got a Flat from the store and its 3.7# I heard that its around 1 1/2 # per hour any truth to that at all. Or should I just throw that out the door and just let it do its thing.

Throw that train of thought out the door. Cook time is completely dependent on how hot you run your fire, and when your piece of meat wants to give up the goods and go probe tender.

So why does everyone own a thermapen then? For Chicken? :twitch: Well I don't cuz they cost too much.......I'm still learning Brisket myself - they're good but I'd like Great. In my experiences the ones I put a rub on are always moister/ better tasting.......I like Adkins Western Style.........

I use my Thermapen for chicken, steaks, and roasts that aren't cooked until probe tender. Also people on timelines that have to temp out a bunch of meats, home brewers, health inspectors, and cooks/chefs that take the temperature of numerous things throughout the day love the thermapen because 3 secs 20-30times a day vs 30 seconds 20-30times a day saves time and helps get back to the task at hand.

Back