Anyone with experience doing the BBQ Battle in DC??

TailGateJoecom

is one Smokin' Farker
So we are doing our first comp next week in DC and pretty excited! I am concerned about load in and set up. I have a 16 ft trailer which is actually 19ft8in in overall length. The only spots they had left were 20x20. Now, I can drive and get around with the trailer, but I am not an expert in parking it in very small places, I need a bit of a wide berth. Ideally I would love to put my trailer in the cook site because I have no idea where it would go otherwise in DC! Is the comp area just the street along the curb, where i could just pull into my spot and drop the hitch? Anyone that could describe the layout and advice would be much appreciated!

Yes, my wife and I cooked in this last year. Couple of things to note. They don't start load in until 11p or midnight Friday night. Everyone lines up on the street beforehand and they come around let you know when to pull in (we pulled out a couple of chairs and drank a few cold ones with some of the other teams--don't be in a hurry). The spaces are a little cramped, but you'll have some room to work with. They also have about a 1/2 block that is roped off for you to park your truck in and leave for the duration of the event (if needed). As you're aware, they supply chicken (keep in mind they are whole chickens so you may want to bring your own), ribs (3 slabs), brisket and lamb. They also have a separate competition known as the National Pork Championship which combines your blind and on-site for Ribs & Pork (we were lucky enough to get 2nd in this last year and it paid well). Let me know if you have any other questions on what to expect. Chris

Last year they had a guy with a forklift with a ball in the tine for situations like yours. Let them know your concern when you get there. As others have said, don't be in a hurry on Friday.

Thanks for the input guys!

So what is the deal with this in-person judging? Do you set up a table and stuff for them to sit and make a whole big presentation? What are they looking for from an on-site judging?

It's kind of like MBN, but on a smaller scale. You will have 2 judges come to your area (at the same time) for both pork butts and again for ribs. They will stay a max of 10 mins for each judging. Yes, you'll want to take a small table and dress it up a little. They say it's not part of the score, but looks are everything. You should take a minute to show off your cooking rig and tell them a how you cooked the products (type charcoal, wood, how long, etc....it doesn't have to be the truth, just needs to be somewhat believable). Spend most of the time at the table with the judges --- talking about the meat, your rub and sauce while they are eating the meats. Make it fun and relaxed. They are there to be fed and entertained. Most of all....have fun with it.

Hello Everyone. I live in DC and have been considering competition BBQ for a few months. I was going to go down to the BBQ Battle to check out the set up and watch the teams.

Since I will be down there if anyone is cooking down there and needs a hand I would be more than happy to help out. Not looking for anything in return - just a fun time and maybe some bbq advice.

I am a good cook (cooked in a professional kitchen in Louisiana for 5 years) with good knife skills.

If you want any help - shoot me a pm.

Also - if you have been to this event before what are the turn in times and the general schedule of the event? When would be the best time to attend?

Thanks and I will see you all this weekend

If I recall correctly...brisket, chicken and lamb are all done on Saturday (can't remember the exact times, but they're noon-1p-2p timeframe. Then on Sunday they do ribs and butts (blind and on-site). Again, same general timeframes.
Wish we were coming back up there this year....good luck to you guys.
Chris

Back