Shaggy does a pig!

awesome cook, that pig looks great!

When you probed, were you going through the skin, or did you have to slit the skin and then probe?

I stabbed her through the skin. My thermapen is pointy!

The skin was kinda tough, so I'd stab a hole, then gently try a couple spots with the same hole.

I stabbed her through the skin. I'd stab a hole, then gently try a couple spots with the same hole.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

:caked::caked::caked::caked::caked:

Whew, page 3. Safe to come out and play now?

OK, I'll bite. Not what I expected when I opened the thread, but relieved ;)

Really though, looks great Shags, I really hope to "do a pig like Shaggy did" later this fall!

Impressive, great post!!
Curious, was the skin edible?
Did you rub the skin?

There were a few tasty bits but for most part, not edible. Very leathery. I think you need to cook it butterflied on a block pit over coals to get the tasty crispy skin. I did not rub the outside except for a little vegetable oil.

Well you started at the top, so it's all downhill from here! :heh:

Seriously though - such a fanfarkingtastic cook, esp. for a first time out - hell, for a 10th or 100th time out! Eating tasty pig is a great thing to do, but what's best is the time spent with family and friends - that's the good stuff right there IMO.

That tray is super cool - beats the chit out of my plywood wrapped with foil! :oops:

I knew it was gonna turn out great - nice work brother! :whoo:

MooseLikes_zps5f21f484.jpg

Whew, page 3. Safe to come out and play now?

OK, I'll bite. Not what I expected when I opened the thread, but relieved ;)

Really though, looks great Shags, I really hope to "do a pig like Shaggy did" later this fall!

:laugh: I'm amazed it took till page 3. It was totally intentional.

It was a running joke all day. "Hey guys, welcome. I'm doing a pig tonight, but don't tell my wife I said that, she hates it when I call her that. Also, I'm cooking a hog. "

Yes. My wife is a saint. Also, she never heard the joke. Nor did any of her friends until I was drunk enough to blame the scotch.

Well you started at the top, so it's all downhill from here! :heh:

Seriously though - such a fanfarkingtastic cook, esp. for a first time out - hell, for a 10th or 100th time out! Eating tasty pig is a great thing to do, but what's best is the time spent with family and friends - that's the good stuff right there IMO.

That tray is super cool - beats the chit out of my plywood wrapped with foil! :oops:

I knew it was gonna turn out great - nice work brother! :whoo:

Thanks brother. I really appreciated your expertise.

Plywood with foil?? :doh: that sounds way easier to make!!! Actually mines really not far from that but I do tend to over-engineer. I'm more mad that I didn't make it 3" longer.. Then it would fit perfectly over my table top. Never even occurred to me to measure the table. I was just concerned with the grate size. Oh well. I'm not building another one, so I better find a smaller table!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Well done Shag! I didn't expect anything less when I clicked on this post. Amazing color on that beast! I bet it smelled ridiculous.

Awesome work. Whole hog is a BBQ right of passage.

RE edible skin: Ive done 2 direct coal cinderblock cooks and even then, its not that great. Maybe the masters in the Carolina's have perfected it

On a side note would you say the taste is better cooking a whole hog or just doing butts? Or is the whole hog cooking more just for conversation? Just weighing out if I would want to get a hog cooker down the road or if just keep cooking butts

Back