• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cheap Performer Wire Rack Replacement Mod

HOPTOAD

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Recently I "scored" a Performer off of Craigslist. The thing was filthy and missing some accessories, mainly the wire rack. This had a pretty dramatic effect on the stability of the grill, so I tried to come up with a cheap way to replace the wire rack. Here is what I came up with.

First pic showing the starting point.

1361282964_zps0deec085.jpg

I got some PVC with end caps drilled a hole in the caps ran a carriage bolt through the existing holes where the rack used to be. Secured them with a washer and nut. The other side I used the existing screw.

Pics
1361282336_zps9dbdb77d.jpg

1361237133_zps36834544.jpg

Then I cut two peices of PVC to 31.5 inches and did a dry fit.

1361237186_zpsf47b3ed2.jpg

Painted the PVC using some Krylon fusion that I had laying around and got it put together.

1361237238_zps199a3c3a.jpg

The really improved the side to side stability of the grill but the front to back stability was still lacking. I had an extra 25 inch segment of PVC left over that attached at far end to help with that.

1361237060_zpseb0fe9a0.jpg

The plan (once payday hits and I can some more PVC and paint) is to continue these cross members for the length of the grill making a small shelf, replacing the non-existant wire rack.

Thanks for Looking,

HOPTOAD

Last edited:
That's really kewl :) When you get a few spare $$ I suggest you buy some PVC T-fittings, cut the guys you show and use the "T"s to add cross members. Bet you can make it look awesome :grin:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will make sure to post some more pics once it is finished. I think I am going to put caps on the ends of the crossmembers to make it look a little nicer and instead of attaching the PVC with screws from top to bottom, go bottom to top, again for looks.

I finally finished the replacement wire rack using PVC.. I was wrong, it is not cheap. Probably wouldn't do it again. Total cost was right at 60 bucks. It is really sturdy, but with the time it took and the cost a replacement is probably cheaper.

Still have some touch up to do. Deciede to leave off the end caps. Might look a little better but I dont want to spend anymore in it. I am debating whether to leave to stainless screws the color they are now or paint them black. I think I will leave them alone. Thanks for Looking.

I was curious if anyone has a method they use to get oil stains off the performer table? I got a little olive oil on there I just cant seem to get up. Thanks.

Pics.

1363866510_zps04236bc8.jpg

Last edited:
Good work on the shelf! I hope it holds up. I recall using PVC for something so long ago that I can't recall what it was. It broke and I've felt that POVC is not so strong since. Maybe yours is a better application.

I was curious if anyone has a method they use to get oil stains off the performer table? I got a little olive oil on there I just cant seem to get up. Thanks.

I use Dawn (not a cheap substitute) and Simple Green for degreasing. On metal stuff I have also used WD-40 as a first step to soften the grime.

Good work on the shelf! I hope it holds up. I recall using PVC for something so long ago that I can't recall what it was. It broke and I've felt that POVC is not so strong since. Maybe yours is a better application.

Thanks Hank. I am concerned about it holding up too. I was putting pretty good pressure on the frame when I was attaching the crossmembers and it held up well, but it is PVC. In reality I dont think the things I will be putting on the shelf will add up to much weight. Just a small rubbermaid for charcoal and a small, thin, (hopefully light) paver stone to set my chimney starter on after use.

I'll tell you though.. if it breaks :yell::frusty::mad2:

I like it very nice! Simple green or Dawn as suggested above should do the trick.

Back