First Butt on the UDS... and it wasn't Mine

Goldenfinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thursday was an early, 5 o'clock kinda morning as we decided to cook our first Butt on our shiny new UDS for my father's birthday supper. I can only take credit for the homemade rub, and preparation... my girlfriend actually monitored the all day cook (10.5 hrs) while I went to work...

Started with an 8.5# Butt from the local packer.
E4Uuf43l.jpg

Rubbed it down, re-bagged it and back into the fridge till morning.
kKR36PMl.jpg

5:00am with a wicked thunderstorm going on... neighbors off to work and I'm firing-up the UDS...
efBjtOul.jpg

Out of the fridge and into the smoke...
M4JYd5cl.jpg

Pulled it at about 190F, probe tender... "like a knife in butter."
FTlaPCPl.jpg

Again, since I spent all day at work... all credit goes to my GF, she did a great job and didn't panic when the Butt hit the "Stall" during cooking. :wink:

Awesome cook! You got a good woman too! I love knowing I can trust my wife running my UDS. I hand her the maverick and say if the temp moves you know what to do. Good job!

Very nice! So has she taken ownership of the UDS and you have to build your own now? :biggrin1:

Very nice! So has she taken ownership of the UDS and you have to build your own now? :biggrin1:

Not as of yet... a little worried that the request may come in for a 2nd UDS... in pink... with some bedazzles maybe..? :laugh:

On the bright side... it's still a 2nd UDS I wouldn't need to ask for...

Back