The lid with the chimney is not quite finished. Haven't cleaned it up and cooked with it yet.

Here is the chimney weld.

GEDC0093.jpg

The chimney cap.

GEDC0095.jpg

GEDC0094.jpg

I'm gonna make an umbrella that slips over the chimney tomorrow. If I have time. I want to make some sort of collar so I can slip it off and cap the chimney and put the umbrella back in place.

I want to cook with this lid Saturday. Still need to clean it up, at least on the inside, and rub it with the fat hunks of a feral hog, and fire up a couple of hickory chunks and scorch a fatty.

I rarely use the bottom grate. I always use the top grate. I haven't cooked two grates full yet but I am itching to have a fatty drip all over a spatchcocked chicken.

Last one, nice non conductive handle from institutional dish washer.
I think I'll add another thermometer in the top, maybe where the small bung is.

GEDC0092.jpg

Make it a trailer rig and pullit with your tow vehicle on the lower right!
GEDC0092.jpg

Awesome and thanks ... will be definitely having a closer look. I can see myself towing the finished product with a similar vehicle to the neighbours. Will post some pics as I go. Cheers!

I have some questions about cooking while transporting.

Football season is coming up and I have yet to unveil my new UDS to my buddies and I'd like to spring some good BBQ on them this year. So I was wondering about transporting the uds while cooking. Do you guys do this?

I have a trailer to pull behind my vehicle though it is open rails meaning it's not enclosed. I wonder about how the rushing wind might effect the oxygen supply eaither too much going in or a venturi effect sucking air back out.
I wonder if building a small plywood box around the UDS would be a good idea for transport to stabalise the air a bit?

I'm not so sure that transporting a lit fire is a good idea...Don't know never tried....
Maybe try cooking food through the night....Extinguishing the fire before you go...Restarting fire on location and reheating the Que' there. Just make sure that you transport food properly to keep it out of the danger temp zones.....

firecrackerjack

I've taken mine to work in the back of the P/U. I had the remotes in the cab and didn't notice any spikes. I didn't go over 4o mph. Everybody laughs and jokes but you should see them hang around when I pop the lid.

Hugh--

Perfect timing, man. I've been looking at the extra drum in our backyard contemplating whacking the top third off to make an extended lid. Your post is exactly what I've been thinking on.

One question--a couple of pages back, you showed a weight inside the lid. Why? Is there a purpose for it?

Thanks.

Well I have read alot of the pages of this post and I decided to build my own UDS. I have made the basket using a weber 18 inch charcoal grill and expanded metal, but still have no drum.

I have tried craiglist for the very first time and might have the ability to get a drum for 50 delivered to the house, dang thing would be to hard to fit in a civic :lol:. im still waiting for a reply from them concerning if the drum had any linings and what was the drum used for.

Anyways I have started, but not having some of the tools and buying alot of the stuff at HD and Lowes, it has not been the cheapest UDS i have seen on here, it should still be cheaper then a WSM so alls good, lol.

Hugh--

Perfect timing, man. I've been looking at the extra drum in our backyard contemplating whacking the top third off to make an extended lid. Your post is exactly what I've been thinking on.

One question--a couple of pages back, you showed a weight inside the lid. Why? Is there a purpose for it?

Thanks.

The handle and weight were on a grease trap on an industrial washing machine I have for a future project. If I hadn't used the weight, I would have had to make some other spacer because I didn't have any shorter machine screws. I like it though, it helps hold the lid down tighter. I also realized I could cut it so it would act as a counter weight to offset the chimney. Now it's balanced almost perfectly. Works great so far. I'm pleased with it. It's about 2 1/2 lbs so doesn't add too much weight. I will weigh the lid tomorrow.

To flare the lid just right, I made a little jig to hold it today. I forgot to take a pic, but I will go up to the shop tomorrow and get a pic of it. Want to get a new grate in the morning and go mount it in that drum.

Also working on this drum as a convertible UDS/UDG. So I wanna work on the grill fire basket anyway. i might make another lid just for chits and giggles. Got a buddy with a new exhaust pipe bender and he needs to practice, I've got some intake pipe ideas. This one's gonna funky.

Back