The Whole Truth and Nothing.........

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I found out why Eskimos don't Que. Yesterday I had some BB Bacon and C Bacon to finish off and thought I'd throw on a 8lb butt also.
Temps were in the high 20's for most the afternoon but I started the bacon off at 150* and was keeping a low fire in the EDS. After an hour I threw in some more lit Royal Oak and temps were at 250 ish. After the bacon came off (2:15 later) I threw some more lit RO in and the butt just was not moving (137* after 4 1/2hr). We took a little nap and when we woke up grate temps were still at 250ish but the butt was still at 159* I wrapped it and went back in house.
It was now getting dark and cold and I decided to pull it and finish in the oven today. I came in and told the wife to order chicken dinners from the OP. Shouda seen the look on her face before she busted out laughin her ass off at me.......
So my question to you all is...How many times have you ordered out instead of eatin the que you started???????
ModelMaker

I've come close but worse case scenario they are really hungry!!

It's happened. Usually have enough leftovers in the freezer we can nuke if needed.

I usually do a bc chicken along with everything else so I have been lucky to have something to serve is the butt isn't done.

I always have a back up meal plan, in case the Q does not get done, which is about 98 percent of the time.
Dave

I guess I have always just been LUCKY :oops:

The cooler is my friend :lol:

I will get "bit" one day--I can count on it.

TIM

My Eskimo dosent cook at all. LOL This is why you hear a lot "It is done when it is done"..... That also is why you cook fatties to snack on until the meat is ready.

Attachments

• Klinger10-06.jpg
    Klinger10-06.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 164
You will probably never see me cook without some kind of link sausage and always smoke a pack of wieeners until there goodin black.

I am so glad i'm not alone with this. Thing is all of you will at some point get several months of good weather where as I will only get a window of three weeks. lol
I have a plan though.

LOL, MM!!

I fully understand where you're coming from. The weather here in Michigan can mess up your plans in a hurry.

Fortunately for me, the wife likes her beer as much as I do. When the "Q" gets behind, she just says "So I've got time for another one?"

"Yup" :wink:

JimT

Never had it happen here I always allow for a couple of hours but of course Ky doesnt get as cold as some of the places .

That's trus is dosen't get as cold here but it's always cold or damp and this is the reason I love the UDS.lol Once I get it all figured out i'll be able to start long cooks, go to work and have the boy monioor the temps while i'm away. Arriving home to fresh Q just in time for dinner.

I've never finished anything in the oven-yet! Or ordered take out-yet! But I have had more than a few late dinners or leftovers the next day because of my poor timing.
I have gotten better. But I better not get cocky!

Ed, don't feel too bad, its rainy over here, sort of...:twisted:, but about 75*...
at least you have dinner for tonite!

Crappy weather is when a ceramic cooker like an Egg really shine. I usually don't bother if it's minus 20° or colder because the hole on my beer bottle keeps freezing shut, but down to that temp, I'm good.

c77fd891.jpg

You had to post this and I just had to post in it earlier..................

10 hours and this butt is at 161, I think I smell KFC already....

I'd rather not eat at all... works well for me but not when cooking for others :). Funny thing is when I'm done cooking I have little desire to eat whatever I just spent the better part of a day working on. Leftovers are a different story.

It was around 20 outside for my most recent cook on the WSM. After about 14 hours on my second load of charcoal running out (normally get 16 or more on one load) I decided to finish the brisket in the oven.

Back