medUDS added to SS performer

davefan360

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Troy MI (dreaming of sitting in a treestand)
Well I wanted to build a Med UDS but I did not want it all alone so I built it, then built it onto my performer cart. I have still need to fire it up this weekend. I think that it turned out kind of neat.

6 coats of high heat paint and primer, the inside is basic one rack for now mounted on SS Ubolts, a charcoal ring made from 8in tall expanded metal. I might add another rack, and a thermometer. For air vents I was going to use the daisy wheel vents form the bottom of the 18in weber I got the lid from but went with a different plan. They are cut out of 1/8 steel( need to paint them) then just bolted onto the bottom of the drum. Not seen in the photos is the wheeled leg I made for the third corner of the base. he angel iron is bolted to the frame of the performers cart. I was thinking about extending the handles from the cart to the drum but felt it was not needed once I bolted it all together. Can;t wait to cook 2 different things this weekend. Maybe 2 slabs of ribs with a different wood to see if I can taste the difference. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• MedUDS1.jpg
    MedUDS1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 190
  • ResizedImage_1386032336422.jpg
    ResizedImage_1386032336422.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 187
  • ResizedImage_1386032370588.jpg
    ResizedImage_1386032370588.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 186
Is that a 30 gallon uds?

Looking forward to the food it makes.

Nice! Just so you know, your going to get hot ash falling out the bottom vents unless you put like 1/2 soup cans with holes in the sides all the way around to allow air in but no ash out. The soup cans need the bottom or top on them if that make sense. Long smokes is where you can run into trouble with the ash blocking the holes, but it does work.

As for ash build-up all you need is a slightly raised ash pan bolted or simply placed underneath your charcoal basket. That will keep the vents clear of ash.

Back