What do you eat the first night?

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After seeing Phil talk about his linquini and clam sauce, I was wondering what other people cook up the first night at competition. We try to go for something simple but still pretty decent. Twice now, we have brought boboli and pizza fixins and laid them out for everyone to make their own and put them on the grill until cooked through.

What does everyone else do that may be simple yet elegant, or do you go all out and work your ass off for dinner?

Last year I had wings....sausages....skirt steaks...pasta salad and shrimp while the teams to the left and right of me kept it simple and made sandwiches. I vowed that I would keep it simple this year but I am falling into the same routine....looks like anduille and italian sausage, skirt steaks, wings AND sandwiches. Go figure!!!!

For a small crowd, pizzas are good stuff. For tomorrow, we're having more people by, so we're doing some ribs and chicken breasts. Last time, we did pitbeef sandwiches... Simple but good stuff.

We have sandwiches, casseroles from home, soup, salads, or KFC. Something simple that does not need the cooker running.
Or, we eat what the organizers provide. Getting to be more of that :lol:
Or, we mooch off of neighbors.
Or, we get Phil to come down and cook prime rib :lol:

OH--we have done some Cajun Shrimp boils for a treat. Simple one dish meal and a crowd pleaser.

This is really a practical matter. Neither of us eat much at a comp. Just not hungry for some reason.
We also try to nap from 9 or 10 PM till about 3 AM. Our cooker is ready to add a chimney to cook and we do not want to mess with it the night before.

Actually, our big meal is breakfast on turn-in day. Gotta have eggs, meat, bread, potatoes, and lots of cold milk. Get the energy level up and ready to go when it is important.

Different strokes for different folks here :lol:

TIM

Last edited:
The_Kapn said:
We have sandwiches, casseroles from home, soup, salads, or KFC. Something simple that does not need the cooker running.
Or, we eat what the organizers provide. Getting to be more of that :lol:
Or, we mooch off of neighbors.
Or, we get Phil to come down and cook prime rib :lol:

OH--we have done some Cajun Shrimp boils for a treat. Simple one dish meal and a crowd pleaser.

This is really a practical matter. Neither of us eat much at a comp. Just not hungry for some reason.
We also try to nap from 9 or 10 PM till about 3 AM. Our cooker is ready to add a chimney to cook and we do not want to mess with it the night before.

Actually, our big meal is breakfast on turn-in day. Gotta have eggs, meat, bread, potatoes, and lots of cold milk. Get the energy level up and ready to go when it is important.

Different strokes for different folks here :lol:

TIM

I can think of another option ya missed.......:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and happy to do it again..

We usually coordinate with other teams and figure out a group gameplan. For example - We usually make steak kabobs ( wife marinates them starting thursday), another team makes BBQ spaghetti, yet another will do fatties and wings.... and we put it all out and have a free - for -all.

Last weekend, Early Bird, Jeanies got Wood, and Boys of BBQ & Patty, put on an AWESOME cajun spread. Crawfish Etouffe, Red beans and rice, Gumbo, and 30lbs of mudbugs Best I have eaten in weeks!!!

Opps, can't forget Brother Wayne's ABTs. We make them now too, but his were the inspiration!!!

i do a prime rib for everyone else, not me though.. I NEED a NO MEAT thing. last year at grillkings i did the linuine and clam sauce and it went over real well. Its a welcomed change after prepping meat all day. I bouth the fixins for linguine and clam sauce, or a fresh marinara with ziti and herbs from the garden. Pile on a gallon or so of locatelli and Im a happy camper.

but, willyB save me some clams!!

I need to start coming to comps and hangin out with yall.. <taco bell and 2 honey buns for supper to night at work>

we start the day off with My clams casion along with 24 loaves bread and later on through the day we will have smoked sausage , wings, and some ribs.

partenr likes cooking lamb but I like to visit and munch on all the good grub that our firiends are serving...usually too busy drinking to eat much anyway<bfg>

Buzz

parrothead said:
After seeing Phil talk about his linquini and clam sauce, I was wondering what other people cook up the first night at competition. We try to go for something simple but still pretty decent. Twice now, we have brought boboli and pizza fixins and laid them out for everyone to make their own and put them on the grill until cooked through.

What does everyone else do that may be simple yet elegant, or do you go all out and work your ass off for dinner?

Greg,
I can't believe this.

The only answer I can think of is "BAGNA CAUDA".......

Put some of that great bread out on the table light a couple of candles
and it is decent and Elegant !

Expand with adding clams and maybe a bowl of pasta on the side.

Back