Simple right? Not for me!!

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
OK...I have always struggled to properly open a bag of lump/charcoal. Now I'm getting ticked!!! Why can I not open a fatty package without leaving some on the package!! My question....what is the easiest way to open a fatty fellas? I know....I know...just worked late and not much sleep..

I make an almost full circle cut at one end and a long cut down the side. Carefully peel the end piece where I make the almost full circle cut and then peel it down the length. I then use my knife to smooth over the cuts.

Using a VERY sharp knife, I cut both ends where they're cinched together, then make a cut lengthwise down the entire roll. Simply peel off the plastic. Make sure your sausage is cold.

Yes, I said that.:p

Using a VERY sharp knife, I cut both ends where they're cinched together, then make a cut lengthwise down the entire roll. Simply peel off the plastic. Make sure your sausage is cold.

Haha!! I'm good at half arising to get it done quick. I'll try that. Every time I try to take my time opening a fatty or a bag of lump carefully.....paying attention....I FARK IT UP RIPPING THE BAG!!:wacko:

I just use a knife or scissors on charcoal bags. That damn string thing never unravels like they used to...

I toss the sausage in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before opening. It helps keep the log in tact. I also slice off one end where it's crimped and slice lengthwise all the way down, then carefully peel off the plastic wrap. There is always a bit of "sculpting" involved to get the log back in near perfect condition though.

+1, i basically do the same thing the colder the easier.

image030.gif

:becky:

I use kitchen shears to snip off the two crimps then ease the blades slowly down the length of the chub until it reveals it's naughty secrets to me...:icon_blush:

This is your biggest problem in life?
Congrats.
Ed

Naw sir...you see Ed....I did not mean to make sound like it was the end of the world. I was bored and waiting for the pit come up to temp.....ticked about the dang fatty wrap....and little sleep. I don't worry about much though. And....its the simple things in life man? Just checkin how everyone else opened charcoal and fatty sacks? I hope you were being silly?:icon_smile_tongue:

image030.gif

:becky:

I use kitchen shears to snip off the two crimps then ease the blades slowly down the length of the chub until it reveals it's naughty secrets to me...:icon_blush:

THATS ME GUERRY!!!! ALL THUMBS! NIIIICCCCCEEE!:biggrin1:

I toss the sausage in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before opening. It helps keep the log in tact. I also slice off one end where it's crimped and slice lengthwise all the way down, then carefully peel off the plastic wrap. There is always a bit of "sculpting" involved to get the log back in near perfect condition though.

Thanks El Ropo. I'll try the freezing idea. And......just so you know.....I'm now cooking "El Ropo style". as we speak!

This is your biggest problem in life?
Congrats.
Ed

I don't know if its lack of sleep Ed but this rubbed me wrong? If it was jest I'm sorry I'm grumpy. We are good. I was just seeing how everyone opened them? Nap time for me......sorry. And....you have Seniority over me here...but you subscription is expired. Just saying. I'm sorry....nap time.:mrgreen:

That is what I do, too, but using kitchen scissors. Once those end crimps are off, the wrapper becomes a long tube that can be cut lengthwise, and peeled off.

CD

As for charcoal bags, I just rip blue open with my finger (get under the seem and pull). Other brands, I go straight for the scissors.

That is what I do, too, but using kitchen scissors. Once those end crimps are off, the wrapper becomes a long tube that can be cut lengthwise, and peeled off.

CD

Thanks CD! My nap is over and I'm a new man! Good people here thanks....and mods.....sorry if it seemed like a rant earlier. Don't want to make yoh r jobs difficult. I appreciate what y'all do. Grumpy NOHENS out.

Mine! And what do you guys mean? You take the wrappers off?? :shock:

But yeah - if the sausage warms up you're gonna have a tougher time of it.

Opening a sack of charcoal is easy if you know the secret.
From the outside edge of the sack find a point about 4-6 " to the center put your thumb on that spot in the stitching on the side with the single thread. slip the point of a knife under the banding and slice the stitches moving along them to the outside. I learned to open feed sacks like that when I was 5 or 6.

Removing Chub from the packaging requires a Sharp knife.
Looking at the package slice around the circumference where the radius end meets the wall of the cylinder on both ends. Then slice the cylinder. Use the edge of the knife to peel the ends off and roll it out of the jacket.

Back