Finished my smokehouse build today

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Thanks to Cowgirl for her advice and support in seeing me threw this smokehouse build. It is pretty much her design.

I intend to use this for cold smoking bacon, salmon, cheese and numerous other things....

Here is a finished picture. The dark wood is reclaimed French Oak that was previously used in wine barrels to age chardonnay. It was moldy and gross until I hit it with the planer. Beautiful wood

008_zpsdd85b19f.jpg

004_zps676968d5.jpg

Here is the smoke source. I use a fan on the inlet ball valve and the smoke is being generated by an A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER inside the cut down drum.

002_zps9d7d6e57.jpg

I put a valve on the outlet of the house to modulate the smoke flow.
2013-03-31111324_zps5fb91f97.jpg

2013-03-31111007_zps7c847eb7.jpg

I've run it three times so far and it smells awesome! I've got a couple pork bellies curing and they will get smoked next weekend. Can't wait!

If you are interested in building one, I suggest you check out Cowgirl's website here http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

Great job Marty!
I hope your top horizontal vent does not stain that awesome paint job!!!

Finally, someone nearby with a cold smoker!

I tell you this, the next MartyBash is gonna be a good one.

Now, if you could build a rotisserie for your Santa Maria pit, I can bring over a Strube Ranch whole Wagyu sirloin.

Or have I not shared that plan with you yet?

That is a great setup! I assume the long run from the smoke source to the smokehouse is to cool the smoke?

That is a great setup! I assume the long run from the smoke source to the smokehouse is to cool the smoke?

Yup but it didn't need to be that long. Truth is, I put half a chimney of brigquets in a fire basket and lit up another half chimney. Put that on top of the other briquettes, sealed it up. I attached a 5cfm blower on the input by the ball valve and let it rip.

The half drum was running about 300 or so and the smokehouse got to a max temp of 79 or 80 degrees with nice blue smoke coming out of it.

Real nice work Marty!!
This is definitely on my to do list.

I have to build one.

Thanks for sharing and if there is anything you would do different, please let us know.

Back