Mini-WSM: Slightly Shorter Version

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here's my version of the mini. I figured if my little Cobb Grill/Smoker can produce decent smokes with its main grate only an inch above the diffuser why can't I do the same with my mini's lower grate.....thus, the shorter smoker body than the standard length tamale pot.
Upper grate is 4" below the lip. I have not yet installed mounting bolts for the diffuser/drip pan to rest on. The lower grate, if used, will simply sit on the drip pan, slightly elevated.
Making the cut at the lower ridge of the pot was easy and the fit, perfect.

Thanks for looking!

Shortened tamale pot
P1070078_zps1c9b6eda.jpg

Original length tamale pot
P1070044_zps4a60d0dc.jpg

Last edited:
So are the two in the picture the same except for the fact that you cut the pot around where the steamer insert sits in the first one?

Ok, so I'm easily confused. I admit that. But why would you want less room in your smoker? What am I missing here? :confused:

Thirds. Why? Not being a jerk, just not sure what you hope to add by subtracting. I've never had issues with my bottom grate, other than if I'm not careful it can get too hot.

Ok, so I'm easily confused. I admit that. But why would you want less room in your smoker? What am I missing here? :confused:

Not a significant difference, but the smaller chamber volume requires less fuel to operate.

I can still fit 2 whole chickens in there.

If I need a larger chamber I have a 16 gallon drum (cut out at the bottom like the tamale pot) which I use in place of the tamale pot and sits on the Smokey Joe, but the 16 gallon set up uses significantly more fuel than the standard mini-wsm.

So glad you're happy with it, brother. That's what counts! :thumb:

Not a significant difference, but the smaller chamber volume requires less fuel to operate.

I can still fit 2 whole chickens in there.

If I need a larger chamber I have a 16 gallon drum (cut out at the bottom like the tamale pot) which I use in place of the tamale pot and sits on the Smokey Joe, but the 16 gallon set up uses significantly more fuel than the standard mini-wsm.

I like it. Why not try something new? We all benefit from each other's experiments on here. Let us know how the cooks go.

Actually, if I know I'll never use a second grate I can even go shorter....:))

i like the looks of that! i also know that i'll never use the lower rack of my regular-sized wsm. lets see some cooks brother.

Well.....I already, kinda, have that so I don't think I'll turn the mini-wsm into a lowrider....:lol:..

P1070064_zps610403b4.jpg

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I've been in the market for a Cobb. Where'd you get yours?

Looks good to me. That's what makes bbq so much fun. Everybody has their on way of doing things. No rules. That's how we all learn.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I've been in the market for a Cobb. Where'd you get yours?
Not, not a problem. Woot had a one day sale on the Cobb a couple of years back. I picked up this Premier model for under $70. I was alerted about the sale right here on the Brethren. There was a thread on it and I think several members here jumped on the deal that day, myself included.

You can fit 2 whole chickens in there? That is awesome! I think you made the world's first micro-WSM.

You can fit 2 whole chickens in there? That is awesome! I think you made the world's first micro-WSM.

If you think about it the space between the diffuser/drip pan and the lower grate is pretty much dead, wasted space from many mini-wsm builds I've seen.

Tamale pots do come in different sizes. Just imagine the pot I found just happened to come in that size. :)

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty interesting wood oven in the background - what's the line on it? I'm getting ready to do a mini (after i finish 2 builds in progress) and all you folks posting really helps with my planning.

Back