Wood in a Weber

Jeep

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is there any reason why I would not want to use wood in my Weber over charcoal or Lump?

-Jeep

I guess my question is ONLY wood and No Charcoal or Lump. I already add wood chunks to my charcoal.

WSM or kettle? If a WSM wood would be tricky as a lot of airflow is needed to keep wood burning cleanly and WSM's work with charcoal really well as a smoldering burn is all that is needed. A kettle and all wood for grilling might work, but a lot of trouble to achieve a result which is easily accomplished with charcoal.

Get a nice offset, my preferred cooker, if you want to do an all wood fire.

Others will have different opinions though.

I was gonna say you could burn down the wood in a burn barrel, squelch the fire and let it cool off and then use it in the Weber in a controlled fashion whenever you want. You could call it lum...... wait, you don't want to use lump.

Just messing with you. I am sure you could burn wood into a bed of embers in the kettle and then grill or smoke on it but it but it seems like a lot of work for little or no gain.

I use fist size mesquite chunks and cut in half, stack the chunks the same as you would charcoal, start the wood and let it burn till thick white smoke is no more, arrange wood on grate and start grilling.

You can use wood in a kettle, just build a fire and let it burn down into a bed of coals before cooking. Makes excellent food.

I use fist size mesquite chunks and cut in half, stack the chunks the same as you would charcoal, start the wood and let it burn till thick white smoke is no more, arrange wood on grate and start grilling.

This.

Ive cooked steaks this way, the problem is, its more time consuming, and likely wasteful on your wood chunks.

This.

Ive cooked steaks this way, the problem is, its more time consuming, and likely wasteful on your wood chunks.

Wasteful is relative-charcoal costs me money, I can cut a pickup truckload of hickory, cherry, beech, white oak, red oak, post oak, ash, or even apple or many more on my property in an hour.

My avatar is me using oak and hickory splits in my OTG. The steak was awesome.

You can use wood in a kettle, just build a fire and let it burn down into a bed of coals before cooking. Makes excellent food.
This. I've done this before, and it imparts a bit more flavor than hardwood charcoal actually. It also burns really farking hot. It's a great way to sear steaks or to do fajitas with skirt steak!:thumb:

The only downside is that some fires get so hot that the grates warp.:tsk: Both the charcoal grates and the top grates.:doh:

You can cook anything over wood embers/coals.Folks been doing it a LONG time.

^+1. Do it all the time, just need to start a few minutes earlier to let the wood fire get to a nice bed of coals. The only difference I see between briquettes getting to coals, lump getting to coals or hardwood splits getting to coals is the hardwood splits give me a more even coal bed & better tasting grub.

I agree with Hoss. Cavemen did it. Cowboys did it. Campers still do it. What difference does it make if the fire is on the ground, in the ground, in a fancy pit, or in a kettle? (I love campfire cooking):grin: I say, have fun with it!

A little trick that I use when cooking indirect on the weber, is to place either a split or round about 4"-5" in diameter across the fire grate and then just pour in the briquets between the wooden dam and the sides of the kettle. The wood doesn't ignite and produces a nice smoke for the entire cook.

A little trick that I use when cooking indirect on the weber, is to place either a split or round about 4"-5" in diameter across the fire grate and then just pour in the briquets between the wooden dam and the sides of the kettle. The wood doesn't ignite and produces a nice smoke for the entire cook.
I've gotta try this next time. Thanks.

I really like that idea! Sounds perfect for an indirect cook.

Back