A BBQ Brethren Event Need Comp Input

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I need input from competitors and it doesn't matter where you are from.

I'm very seriously considering setting up a contest where there would be no $ payout. There would be prizes (and good ones), trophies, ribbons, etc., but no $.

On the other hand, you would pay whatever you want to compete. The thought is that you would cut a check of any amount to a local charity that we work with (Babylon Breast Cancer Coalition) and you are in.

I expect that some people will pay more than they normally would, some would pay less and most would pay about the same. No one would be turned away due to the amount they pay.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Do a search for Cancer Suck and talk to Scottie he should be able to help you out.
Dave

That is an interesting concept - to maximize the proceeds from the incoming entrance fees directly to existing charities.
Would there be a list of local charities... include Operation BBQ Relief?

What about a peoples choice?? That would bring more $ for donations you could even hold it the same day as the contest. Yeah it would be hard for those one/two man teams but I think many around here would figure it out. Either way I think if it fit into our schedule we would compete.

i don't think the "any amount" is viable. put a minimum on it that is enticing(hundred bucks?)and i think you'd get interest as well as those who would pay more than the minimum.

Eric,

For you I'll give this some more thought, but here are a few things right off the top of my head, and are strictly my initial personal opinion (thereby reserving the right to change my opinon), provided as fuel for thought..

1. The "pay whatever you want" idea is a bad idea. Some #$!*&% will give you $5 and compete for the "good ones" prizes the same as the team that donated $500 or $1,000. The goal is to raise money for a charity, so set a very reasonable minimum. If someone doesn't want to pony up, then they are not there for the charity and no one needs the inevitable headaches that will come from that.

2. How about tiered minimum donations? $XX minimum and you compete for category prizes, and $YY minimum and you are also eligible for overall standings prizes. For goodwill, donors should be treated in a manner recognizing that the bigger donors are more beneficial to the charity.

3. If the number of spots are limited and you expect to fill all of them, how about bidding on entries? Teams submit their entries with a bid amount for a spot, and the spots are filled top bid down.

We had a competition here where you had the normal entry fees but half the prize money for each category went to the charity of your team's choice. The good thing about this comp was that the big money went to the top finishers in each category, as opposed to a big payout for the overall top finisher. First place in each category was $3k, split between the team and the charity. There were a lot of company sponsored teams as well as company sponsorships of the event itself due to the fact that there were lots of charities that stood to benefit from a win. The companies paid for a level of sponsorship based on the amount of exposure they would receice, such as their names on the event shirts, flyers, event website, etc, etc. It only paid the top three spots in each category, also. It worked real well until the economy tanked. It was a good concept, though!

I agree with Boogie. I think there needs to be a minimum. Either $75 or $100. Either way, I would be very interested in participating in something like this.

Where are you going to get the prizes, ribbons, trophy's, etc from?
Doesn't part of the entry fee pay for those things?

Back