This definitely my next project. The Grillery/Grillworks website already has me dreaming and scheming. This is a must have backyard accessory! Great Work!!!!!
I like your style!

Very nice build :thumb:. Mine isn't stainless, but this is how I dealt with the vertical supports, and it works great.

Grillpics006.jpg

Very nice build :thumb:. Mine isn't stainless, but this is how I dealt with the vertical supports, and it works great.

Grillpics006.jpg

Dave,

Do you have a shot of what the entire grill looks like. I want to see what you did at the top and see if you have a wheel or ??

Thanks!

Mike

Well I just tried updating the site with new pics, but I'm on vacation right now in San Diego, so I'll have to try again when I return.

Mike

Ok first off......I know....I know....I know....I know....I'm sorry for not posting in over a month and yes we are still alive :) Summer is here life has been crazy busy and we've been working on this thing off and on between me working OT at work and all. I would say we are about 75-80% completed at this time. There are tons of pictures below covering the last few weeks of work that we've done.

BIG SHOUT OUT TO: Landarc, razrbakcrzy & Will work for BBQ and everyone on here who has given us such wonderful ideas that hopefully helps prevent issues after the build.

Also I purchased a Rotisserie Spit set that has a 45" spit rod and 50 lb. motor. Here is the link:
http://www.onegrill.com/Spit_set_w_brackets_and_Motor_p/4ps95.htm
Chad and I have been looking at different way to mount this so it's as center as possible. The Rotisserie is made to go over the large grate only and obviously we have to keep motor away from heat. We've thought of drilling a hole in the center of the railings, but that didn't end up for a reason I don't remember now. So we are looking for some ideas to get the wheels turning on how this will mount. It comes with a standard motor mount that you can see towards the bottom right hand side of the picture. Please give us some ideas : )

So without further delay.....the pics :

Welded corners of grates and grinded down
ry%3D480

Chad measuring what will become the first Gussett
ry%3D400

First gussett being held in place ready for tac weld to hold it in place
ry%3D400

Chad welding the first Gussett
ry%3D400

Back side of welded gussett
ry%3D400

Front side of Gussett attached to grates
ry%3D400

Large grate with gussetts added
ry%3D400

Large grate weighing in at 68.6 lbs.!!! Small grate came in just under 40 lbs.
ry%3D400

We also added gussetts on the underside of the grates as per your great ideas :)
ry%3D400

Close-up of gussett welded to bottom of grate...***MIKES FIRST WELD!!!***Ya I know pretty ugly ehhh lol
ry%3D400

The Beginning of the rails that the grates will slide up and down on
ry%3D400

Continuation of building rails/frame work
ry%3D400

Square steel added between the railings. It joins the small and large grate frames and gives us a gap so that there is room for the rod that will hold the cables and wheels on each side since each grate will be independent of the other
ry%3D400

Another piece of square pipe this time towards the top of the frame. You can see the cross bar tac welded on top
ry%3D400

The Square pipe spacer has been welded and grinded down to a smooth finish
ry%3D400

Completed frame....bar at the bottom is to hold it together for transporting etc...We drilled holes at the bottom and it's held in by bolts.
ry%3D400

Completed frame with grates on it. Some minor tweaking to do but other than tha great
ry%3D400

Many more pictures to come. We have the 4" angle iron to still add to around the frame that will allow it to sit in the masonry box we are building.

Thank you again to ALL of you that have given us so many ideas to run with and please feel free to comment if you see something that can be done better or different. You won't hurt our feelings we're always looking to improve.

-Mike

Oh no, it's much too large, it will never work. What could you have been thinking :wacko:

Nice work

Oh no, it's much too large, it will never work. What could you have been thinking :wacko:

Nice work

Thanks Bob. If it ends up not working then I guess we will have to design a way to move the fire up and down :rofl:

Oh and BTW Mike.It is about time you got these up. Just cause you have been working 7 days a week, what took so long
:tape2::behindsofa::rofl:

Ya ya ya lol....I tried before and failed on getting the pics up, but this time I was determined :)
Don't forget everyone we're looking for ideas on where to mount the rotisserie with it's mounts etc... it doesn't have to be permanent. It can be something we bolt on. In fact I'd prefer it to be removable.

Thanks all for your continued support!

Mike

Thanks all for the comments!!! Now who has some good ideas on adding the rotisserie?

I'm open to all ideas :)

Mike

Great job guys, the workmanship is top notch.

I had an idea for a rotisserie for my pit awhile back and didn't get very far but here is a concept drawing of my thought process. I seen on some SM pits where they had some hooks welded on the outside of the uprights in a few places for adjust-ability but that wouldn't work well if the carrier is on the outside. So I thought about some drop in hooks that went in at an angle and would be locked so they cant rotate. I never got around to playing with the motor side but something could be made like the drop in side but with a plate welded to the pin for the motor. Here is the drawing of the drop in side hook.

Rotiseriepin.jpg

Great build! Very clean work! One question, do both of the cooking grates move on the same axle? If they do, wouldn't it be better to put one (the larger one) as a solid axle (1") and the smaller one as a receiving axle (maybe 1-1/4" pipe), allowing for independent adjustment for each grate?

Back