Santa Fe Boots-n-BBQ

Smilin' Santa's BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Did my first Backyard event this weekend and got grand champion! Fl BBQ Assoc. Event in Starke, FL.
Brisket was horrendous, I have always had luck cooking a brisket.....until this day. Thank the Lord my teammate found enough decent portion of a flat to make a turn in box, without that we were done!
Anyways, I had a blast and am ready to do another, I know that I am not ready to really compete on the pro side, but one person told me there's like an unwritten rule that if you get a grand you move up....What's ya'lls take on that.. Thanks for all the info on the forum also, I have had bbq on my brain for like a month leading up to this thing!

Congrats on the GC, I was there competing as well as heard your name a lot at awards. Great job.

Regarding moving up to pro, there is no hard and fast rule. But what is commonly thought as the right thing to do is to make the change once you win a GC in BY or have regular success. That said there are BY teams now that have won and aren't moving up. Some only compete once or twice a year, some more. There is usually some peer pressure to move up and most follow that. Some don't care what others think. It's ultimately up to you.

Yeah, this being my first backyard, I might try one more, I don't know, I actually live here in Starke and lettered Michael's Trailer (SmokeLife) and when we got grand he told "now it's time to move up".....I seen you are putting on a class, I am seriously thinking about doing that, just have to get my funds right!

Back