Recipe seems different this time. Does this happen to yoo too?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I used Hungarian Paprika in my Chris Lilly, Bib Bob Gibson, Memphis Dry Rub. For some reason the rub turned out really HOT, TOO HOT. :mad2:
I checked all the ingredients again and everything was the same.

The first time I made the rub it was the best. Had a sweet taste to it. This time just HOT. Almost like too much pepper.

Does the kind of Paprika make that much of a change?

Paprika can definitely make that much difference. Other ingredients can also vary depending on brand, even things like black pepper. I learned this the hard way when making barbecue sauce. I always try to use the same brands when dupicating recipes I have previously made.

I liked the rub so much, that I made a triple batch. I thinking about adding all the ingredients except for the black & white peppers & paprika to thin out the heat. Either that or just pitch it in the trash.

There's regular Hungarian paprika and HOT Hungarian paprika. There is a BIG difference. In fact, it was the hot paprika that started Redhot on her journey to being a pepperhead.

This is the brand I usually get. Both hot and sweet.

On edit. The hot is as spicy as cayenne.

SZEGED%20PAPRIKA,%20HOT%20HUNGARIAN%205OZ.jpg

VS sweet

szeged_sweet.jpg

If you used sweet the first time, and hot the second time that would be the difference.

Every spice by every company is different. If you have something you like, it's best to stick with the same brand. Paprika varies tremendously as you just found out. I believe we have 5 different kinds in our cupboard!

I would divide it into small containers and start a new thread...Killer HOT Rub for sale...
jon

It's the Wegmans AJ.

Seriously though, yep, as others stated, variations in paprika and even black pepper can produce big differences.

This thread seems so strange to me. I've never found the paprika brand mentioned to bring anything to the table except color. Guess I'm immune to the stuff. Always had a theory the some folks are more sensitive to some peppers than they are to other peppers.:idea:

did you use the hot or the sweet??? if sweet, shouldn't of made any difference. I once used Penzey's "half sharp" paprika and it really lit things up.

Just wanted to toss this out there. Fresh spices from a place like Penzeys, or other spice specialty places are always going to be more intense than the stuff you get in the local grocery store.

It was just hungarian paprika. Didn't say hot or anything else.

Back