Contest Announcment People's Choice Rib Cook Off - Hickville, NY - September 17th, 2011

Got a email from james he said this is still on and will be posting the teams
list friday.

I apologize for any frustration that you may be feeling but i can assure you this event is still on.
I am also getting frustrated with the FD because i am waiting for them to email me the list of teams that paid. I will make ANOTHER phone call to them today and press them for the list and post it here as soon as i have it.

Google the cook off and there is other websites that says it's on September 24th. Anyone know how many ribs we are going to be cooking? Any word on the teams? There is no advertising for this event. When I google it it says the wrong date.

Very frustrating.

Im going to back out. I would be taking 3 days off work for this because I work midnights.

Doesn't seem to be a seriously run event and I don't want to get turned off to contests by entering the wrong first event.

PM sent about cancelling check.

Sent from my DROIDX

I just spoke to one of the organizers (Sal). He was responding to my email.

They seem very eager, but very new. I think that they may be a bit overwhelmed, but it seems that they have their ducks in a row.

As James had mentioned, there's going to be a judged aspect to the contest utilizing the ribs they give us. They will be using regular BBQ judges, not celebrities or the public.

They are looking to build this into a full blown KCBS style event for next year, so I'm looking forward to supporting their efforts as much as possible. It'd be great to have another full event that's local.

I'm not sure about the date confusion, but I'm confident that it's the 17th.

I'm looking forward to the event and I hope to see everyone there.

Eric

just got back from long vacation,
missed irene's cluster**** to read all the posts about this cluster****
hope it gets someone who wants to steer the ship, because we are all about to bail
& the FD will sit there with an empty lot, with lots of raw ribbies
smokenstein has spoken, want to go back on vaca & miss this mess

I met the guys at Manorville. It seems they have what they need just don't understand the dyer need to keep in touch with those doing the cook. I begged and pleaded with them to join the site. When they told me they had James doing it I told them they better do it themselves not because James can't but because the cooks would want to hear from them. When asked what was the most important thing to do i said they needed to be involved and stay in tune and contact with the cooks. They were told by myself and many more. I think they are for real and are a little overwhelmed but aren't on here listening to know they are overwhelmed and dropping the ball.

I just can't commit to taking the needed time off to participate in something I have a bad feeling about. Im sure it will work out just fine and all will have a good time. I sent in the check in good faith but being in the dark is something that irks me.

I just need to save the days for things like my honeymoon. I just hope they do the right thing and either mail the check back ir let me come get it.

Good luck to those that enter. Maybe ill swing by before work.

Mat

Sent from my DROIDX

Guys, don't bail! This event is still on and will be a good time.
I'll admit, I was tasked with steering this ship and haven't done a great job. I've been swamped with work, school and life.
The fireman that has the list of paid teams is also an electrician and he has been swamped with work since the hurricane.
I spoke to the guy twice over the weekend and he told me he would email me the list, but he hasn't.
I will call him again today and tell him that if I don't get a list today, we're all bailing.
But for now, sit tight. The event is the 17th, not the 24th.

After writing my last post I went through my email and found that they sent me the list of paid teams.
Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Smokenstein & the Monster Crew
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

Smokin Aces and The Grill Scouts are also in but haven't paid yet.
That brings the team count to 9 (if no one bails).
In the beginning of this thread the following teams showed interest. It would be nice if we could get a few more teams and get the count to 15.
Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q
and the rest of the LI brethren teams?

The big thing is the amount of racks we are cooking. We run off WSM's UDS and kettles. If we need to break out the ole gasser to fit the racks let us know(We hate to do that).
Just trying to be prepared with all the accessories that go with making ribs as well. RUBS, sauce, glaze, how much Jameson are we suppossed to bring, you know the important stuff. (Jameson is not an spice on our ribs it is a MUST HAVE for the cooks!!)

After writing my last post I went through my email and found that they sent me the list of paid teams.
Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

In the beginning of this thread the following teams showed interest. It would be nice if we could get a few more teams and get the count to 15.
Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q

Two Fat Polocks Have Paid.

Here they are:
The Smoke 'N Barrel
EZ Que
Babylon Grillbillies
Smoking Irish
Mikes Backyard
Deja Que

Where are:
Two Fat Polocks
Out of the Ashes
T'N'T
Queer Eye
Smokers Lounge
Smoke In Da Eye
Swamp Pit
R2-BQ
Blazzin Butts
Chubby Hubby
Rx-ellent Q
Big Barry Q
r2-BQ def out. I really have no interest in doing it.Besides the following weekend I'm doing demos at blues view and BBQ in Westport(shameless plug)

BBQ-brethren.com brothers in smoke team not listed above. Phil said he really wants to do this but with his big fancy trailer would draw to much of the public giving him and unfair advantage

Smokeindaeye said that not enough media coverage for him to do it

Blazin butts said since its not a grilling contest he won't do it

Queer eye can't do it cause Freds eye only points to mineola not Hicksville

Hi,

I just got a phone call from Greg at the FD in response to my email last Friday.

So, that's two responses to 1 email in the past two days from two different members of the FD. It seems that if they weren't totally on the ball up till now, that may have changed.

They seem very eager to have the event run properly and to address any issues that teams may have.

I'm looking forward to a good event and having it be something that can be built upon for the future.

Eric

Back